Building Volume

addesigns

Does the building volume account for the sloped roof? I am wondering if i make the room height higher than the roof, when assigning a room, if the volume that computes only accounts for the interior of the shell? If so, it would cut down on my time for hand calcs. I suppose I could just try it in a new project but I wanted to ask here first.

• 1 year later...

Dear,

just watch this video and you will get some idea about the same problem...that in Revit the volume calculation is not for only interior ,you will get also the above of your Roof.

It should work properly for volumes. I'm assuming you've got your Area and Volume Computations set to calculate both Areas as well as Volumes (default is Areas only as it's faster). If you don't and you somehow made a calculated field in the schedule to multiply the area with the height this won't work. Also the roof (or whatever else you've got there) needs to have its Room Bounting parameter turned on.

E.g. Here's a section with a mono-pitched roof.

capture_12042014_112653.png

Notice the room height continues past the roof, but is calculated only up to the roof. And a schedule shows this as well:

capture_12042014_113024.png

The Calculated Volume field has a formula of: Area * Limit Offset / 1000 mm

Of course how well it works on complicated shapes is something you'll need to test on a case by case basis. I fear something like a in-place family might not calculate correctly (at least not all the time).

Though remember to check your level's Computation Height. This is especially important if you've got stuff like raised podiums - ensure the computation height is above the floors and below the roofs.