uncommon "earthquake" effect upon orbiting

Marvin7

Every now and then I'll have a drawing that will be doing just fine, then all of a sudden it develops a condition wherein the geometry jerks and shakes during 3D orbiting and zooming. The last time it happened I had to open a new blank drawing template and copy everything over to a new drawing because nothing would make it stop, including restarting my PC. Though I think one time I was able to fix the problem simply by hitting "top" on the viewcube, that doesn't work most of the time.

Here's a video that shows the orbit problem, but not the zoom problem:

I can't work with it like that because, when zooming way in, the jerkiness is so bad that you can't follow the object you're trying to zoom in on. It becomes impossible to select a 1/16" thick edge of sheet metal, for example.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin7

• ReMark

• SEANT

• SLW210

Maybe it has something to do with your graphics chip?

Is hardware acceleration enabled or disabled?

My hardware acceleration is on. I have a Firepro M8900 Mobility Pro 2GB card, though I don't see why it would be a card issue since my problem is drawing specific...but I guess you never know.

One of the reasons I posted this topic was just to see if I was the only one. It's a very blatant problem so if you've ever had it you'd know it. If I'm not the only one then maybe someone has figured out a workaround...other than completely transferring the contents of the current drawing over to a blank one that's not yet 'infected'.

If it is drawing specific then perhaps the drawing file itself is corrupted and on the verge of being made totally useless. What steps have you taken to clean the file up?

Have you tried Audit, Recover, -PURGE? Try a WBLOCK to a new file?

Can you post the drawing or at least enough to show the problem? It could still be a combination of your card, settings and the drawing (or most likely something in the drawing).

I can't view youtube at work, I'll try to look later tonight when I get home if problem still exists.

Thanks for the ideas. I actually deleted all geometry and then drew a quick 3D primitive and that didn't help, but I didn't previously do PURGE, AUDIT or WBLOCK, which is probably troubleshooting 101. I have now, though, and it hasn't helped.

Things I've tried:

1) saving file as another name

2) removing all geometry, then adding back in a simple 3D primitve

3) choosing "Top" on the viewcube

4) AUDIT command (Total errors found 0 fixed 0)

5) PURGE on all things on which purge is currently allowable

6) RECOVER (It detected no errors.)

7) WBLOCK (Entire Drawing; C:\...\new block WBLOCK.dwg. The new block WBLOCK.dwg had the same problem, but when I copied the single 3D object into a new acad.dwg, the problem did *not* carry over into the new acad.dwg)

8.) deleting my only paperspace layout tab

9) changing the 3D object's layer to "0" and deleting all other layers but "defpoints"

10) ensuring there are no XREFs referenced in the XREF palette

testing shaky orbit bug.dwg

As my AutoCAD sat unused while I typed that last post, the shakiness went away in my still open testing shaky orbit bug.dwg. Just to be safe, I'm attaching another one that still does it called "new block WBLOCK.dwg".

Though I believe I had a coworker open such a file a couple of weeks ago and he had no problem with the same file, so obviously that makes it sound computer specific, but yet the problem is also drawing specific, as I've currently got two .dwgs open, one which has the problem and the other that doesn't. Part of what prompted me to post this topic was after the problem happened in back-to-back days, including a file that did not lose the issue even after I shut down my PC for the day until I came back the next morning.

new block WBLOCK.dwg

Erase the cylinder (testing shaky orbit bug.dwg).

Draw a circle. Extrude it to create a new cylinder.

Test with 3DOrbit command. What happens?

BTW...I was able to purge 77 regapps, a block and a couple of other unreferenced items.

Erase the cylinder (testing shaky orbit bug.dwg).

Draw a circle. Extrude it to create a new cylinder.

Test with 3DOrbit command. What happens?

BTW...I was able to purge 77 regapps, a block and a couple of other unreferenced items.

Sure, I'll try it. I assume you took steps to make previously unpurgeable items purgeable?

Ok, having deleted the cylinder, drawing a circle, extruding it to create a new cylinder, no improvement happens. The same problems exist.

Also, when I closed the "testing shaky orbit bug.dwg" that had mysteriously fixed itself and reopened it, the problem reappeared, which is as if the issue is saved to the file, itself.

Here's another youtube video showing the issue when zooming:

All I'm doing in the above video is scrolling my mouse wheel up and down, alternatingly, untill the very end where I scroll up twice because the cylinder was getting too small. You can see how the cylinder jumps around on the screen. So when zoomed way in, a simple mouse wheel scroll will make the object jump right off the screen.

I would try posting these vids as files somewhere but my phone (which is what I took the videos with) is only cooperating when sharing the phone videos to my Youtube app.

Yes, I duplicated your problem but it resolved itself after I eliminated the first cylinder and created a new one.

I did nothing to make "previously unpurgeable" items purgeable. I simply used the -purge command. No magic was involved.

Yes, I duplicated your problem but it resolved itself after I eliminated the first cylinder and created a new one.
:o I guess that's good. I figured everyone would say "It works fine for me". But, unfortunately, it seems the solution is not consistent. As I mentioned in my original post, I believe I remember simply choosing "top" on the viewcube worked one time. I've had it go away for seemingly no reason. I can also say I have tried deleing all geometry and drawing back in new geometry before you asked me to today and it didn't help, so I find it surprising that worked for you.

I did nothing to make "previously unpurgeable" items purgeable. I simply used the -purge command. No magic was involved.

Hmmm, you used -PURGE instead of PURGE. I've never tried the command line version of that command before. It's not the same. Good tip.

Did you bring any geometry in from another program like Inventor for instance?

I'd like you to try something else.

Start a new drawing. Create a cylinder. Copy/paste it to the new block wblock.dwg then do a 3DOrbit. What happens?

Reverse the process and copy/paste the cylinder from the new block wblock.dwg into a new drawing that already has a cylinder in it. What happens?

Did you bring any geometry in from another program like Inventor for instance?

I'd like you to try something else.

Start a new drawing. Create a cylinder. Copy/paste it to the new block wblock.dwg then do a 3DOrbit. What happens?

With respect to Inventor or other softwares, No, I've never done that before in any drawing.

Doing what you said, the new cylinder didn't shake in the new .dwg, but once I copy/pasted to the wblock.dwg, it did shake within wblock.dwg.

Reverse the process and copy/paste the cylinder from the new block wblock.dwg into a new drawing that already has a cylinder in it. What happens?

Doing what you said (and in fact, this is the workaround I've had to use before), I copy/pasted the cylinder from the shaky wblock.dwg into the smooth new .dwg and the new .dwg remains smooth. Going back to the wblock.dwg, it still remains shaky.

I've made an interesting discovery though. I'll post in a minute.

Ok, just to see what would happen, in "new block WBLOCK.dwg", I created a dual viewport setup in model space. Both viewports then had the shaky problem. So then, in the right viewport, I changed the perspective to "perspective" using viewport controls, and that viewport no longer shook. Changed that viewport back to "parallel" and it remained smooth! So maybe that's a palatable workaround.

What's interesting is that after changing the right viewport to "perspective" it no longer shook, but switching focus over to the left viewport, that viewport still shook, even while the viewport next to it was smooth. So I eventually did the same workaround to the left viewport and it fixed that viewport too. I then hit "undo" a bunch of times and was able to get the left viewport right back to being shaky. Weird! It also appears that if I press the "+" on the viewport controls to change the viewport configuration, if I choose the viewport that's been fixed with the perspective cycling method to be the one I press "+" on, all the newly created viewports will be fixed too; if I choose a viewport that hasn't been fixed, all the new viewports will be shaky.

I've now tried the perspective cycling workaround on mulitple drawings and it worked each time, including on my original drawing that prompted this topic. :)

It sounds as though the problem was self-induced.

? If I caused it, I don't know how. But at least I know what to do if I see it again.

Either way, thanks for taking the time to walk through it with me. I had given up on finding a decent workaround myself, and wouldn't have kept troubleshooting all on my own.

The cause of the stutter in the "testing shaky orbit bug.dwg" can be found by opening the View Manager (_view). The current view has the Camera and Target set about 256 million feet from the solid. The actual Unit setting for that drawing is in Inches, so the camera/target is actually over 3 billion units away.

The cause of the stutter in the "testing shaky orbit bug.dwg" can be found by opening the View Manager (_view). The current view has the Camera and Target set about 256 million feet from the solid. The actual Unit setting for that drawing is in Inches, so the camera/target is actually over 3 billion units away.

Masterfully debugged Sean! :beer: