Revolve following path

Superfly

Hi all,

I am new here and also new to Solidworks. I come across a problem I can not resolve.

I want to make a solid like a cone, but the base doesn't have to be a circle but an elipse. How can I make that happen? I tried many things but still not succeeded.

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help me out.

Below a screenshot of what I want to achieve...

revolve_path.jpg

attempedtwo.SLDPRT

The lofted Boss/base works. But only half. I figured out how it works with planes in solidworks, but how do I attach the top? there must be a reference to the top and the revolve or the plane right? Or do I have to make an other plane on top of the other two?

Thanks ....

2thattemped.jpg

I think you will need guide curves to control the shape.

See attached file (I shelled it just for fun.)

Change the offset distance for the workplane or the base dimensions on the sketch1 to edit.

attempedtwo.SLDPRT

If I get a chance - I will post even easier technique (depending on design intent).

attempthree.SLDPRT

Edited by JD Mather

Thank you for these solutions. I am realy new to solidworks. The shelled one you edited comes close....but what I want to have in the end is a real straight line starting at the bottom and only the top is curved, that's why I originaly started with a spline. Can I use splines instead of the curves in this case?

My guess is that I have to assamble it with two parts? I can't figure out what you did with the parameters of the curves itself.

There has to be a bottom on it in the end (the inside is hollow though)

I used Ellipse.

I suspect that what you really want is a line with tangent arc.

I will try to post another example in a few minutes.

attemp4.SLDPRT

You could also add a taper angle to Extrude1.

Edited by JD Mather

You helped me a lot! Thank you so much, starting to feel a tiny bit more comfortable with the program.

Next problem I come across is this: I made some extrude cuts and now ending up with 4 solid pieces, since I edited your last version. It should be two pieces and I want them seperated (a left and right piece) see attached file and screenshot

allmost.SLDPRT

allmost.jpg

I typed out a bunch of information and somehow lost it all.

See the attached image and let me know if you can't figure it out.

Right click....

Multi-body solids.png