How many layout tabs is too many?

_banjo

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good system of how organize multiple layout tabs. My problem is I need to plot 50 different looking bits from one main plan and need to save the layouts too for future reference..Creating 50 layout tabs in paper space does not seem the best way to do it. Anyone got any ideas?

You probably don't have to worry until you reach about 250. Then I'd say you had too many.

You could go "old school" and create a separate drawing for each layout.

I think AutoCAD's limit is 200+. There are other ways, but your method is the most straight forward. That is what layouts are for. If you feel 50 is too many for one file, you could XREF the drawing into multiple files of say 10 layouts each.

If you looking only for a way to organize them then check out Lee Mac's custom lisp routine called TabSort.

Find it here....http://lee-mac.com/tabsort.html

According to AutoDesk...

Currently, up to 256 tabs are allowed in a drawing including the Model Space tab. So 255 tabs can be used for layouts. Once this limit is reached, you will receive a warning message.