Boo Hoo

Ski_Me

I was moved from my desk to a table to make room for a new estimator. Instead of moving the computer I was using it was given to the new guy and I got a laptop (currently using now) to work from. Only problem with that is it doesn't have AutoCAD on it. When I mentioned this I was told to request TIFF files and use windows paint program. ? This was not a joke the company wants to increase profits but not spend any money on extra seats. So they move the guy with cad experience off the computer and give it to a guy with no experience and tell him to bid jobs. Now I have to try and tell architechs to send me TIFFs of their floor plans so I can design fire alarm systems that I have bid on and won. I think paint has a object snap setting but not sure well time to relearn paint.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ski_Me

• Cad64

• SLW210

• stevsmith

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiff files in Windows Paint? :? Really? :unsure: That's freaking ridiculous. :lol: Tell your cheap boss to let you to download a copy of Draftsight to put on your laptop. It's not full blown Autocad, but it's almost identical to Autocad LT. And it's free so it won't cost the penny pincher anything at all. ;)

Wow, sheer stupidity at it's best on your employer's behalf.

Can't you transfer the license over to the laptop and get the estimator to use trueview.

Saying that, CAD need not be expensive, if it's 2D you're after download Draftsight, it's free.

A laptop with no CAD, why not just give you an Etch-A-Sketch?

I might have to use a Etch-A-Sketch I tried Draftsight but my laptop won't run it (at least not very fast more like downright slow as a sloth) and when I try to use it the graphics don't show up. I don't think it's a setting issue just a old crappy laptop.

That is one of the stupidest moves I've ever heard. WTF? Your boss is clueless.

To a point he is, but it's about producing income and he does whatever it takes. I will more than likely do my designs and drawing from home since I have a much better machine at home and I saved all my stuff to google drive accessing the things I need will be no problem.

To a point he is, but it's about producing income and he does whatever it takes. I will more than likely do my designs and drawing from home since I have a much better machine at home and I saved all my stuff to google drive accessing the things I need will be no problem.

It's never good when you actually consider this.

He might be all about producing income but at what sacrifice? He'll pay for his mistake that's for sure one way or the other.

I would not recommend doing work at home unless you are being paid to do so.

I will more than likely do my designs and drawing from home since I have a much better machine at home and I saved all my stuff to google drive accessing the things I need will be no problem.
This is not the worst thing if you are set up to not get too many (more) interruptions that way. Will they really let you work at home instead of the office? I have done quite a bit of this in the past, and it worked great for me and for the company, but a lot of it was overtime work. They paid by the hour and we all documented our hours without being questioned. In addition, a lot of guys were actually working at job sites and working ridiculously long hours. Everyone was making money hand over fist in those days.

It's bizarre. Who's going to help the new guy get up to speed on CAD?

If the projects need custom-designed fire-alarms the laptop might struggle using DraftSight on really large files. The problem is the hardware. If Scrooge is terrified of expenditure you can find adequate pre-loved units online for a few hundred.

If that won't fly TIFF/Paint must be the least capable/functional solution (TIFFs are HUGE) - you could mark up PDFs instead. Foxit is free, BlueBeam won't break the bank.

Just heard may be getting my computer back, the new guy was supposed to get a laptop with a version of sprinkcad on it that can use autocad LT. Most likely will take a week or two to get it done. In the mean time I get to finish any field service work I have left then just play on my laptop at work until the change is made. It's cool with me.

Can you bring in your own laptop?