new at Autocad 08

bobrl

yelling?? asking a question is yelling! lol thanks guys, I think I am on the wrong planet!!! lol for get it, ok!!

I think Tuns got his threads mixed up. Ignore his comment. Let's continue shall we?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• bobrl

• Tuns

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from the original post, I would assume you didn't specify an insertion point which would make the box appear at 0,0 which is the lower left side of the screen upon starting AutoCAD. If size is an issue zoom in on the object that you are working on. If you need a specific area, try zoom window. The picture looks like he started out already zoomed in... Either that or his scale is larger than yours is and that's why its appearing larger. Try making the scale larger to see if that's what your looking for.

The insertion point you specified is on the lower left which would be why it is on the lower left. I'd say insert the object before you zoom depending on the situation. If you need the object to appear on the corner of another object for example I would zoom in to that corner to select the corner as the insertion point before inserting the object. The original .pdf you posted looked more like that guy had a larger scale set on his drawing which is why the object is appearing larger than yours is. He may also just have it zoomed further in than you do.

The default "limits" for a new drawing started using the acad.dwt template is 12 x 9. A line drawn from 0,0 (in lower left hand corner) to the lower left hand corner of your box has a length of over 28. So, you ended up drawing your box outside the limits of the drawing. No big deal; most users ignore the limits anyway. It is a feature left over from the early days of AutoCAD.

When you do a zoom > all your box and dimension move up and to the right.

When you do a zoom > extents your box and dimension will fill the entire screen. Roll your mouse wheel back (zoom out) and the size of your objects appears to get smaller.

That's the annotation scaling feature. You're too much of a novice to even know what that is at this point.

Always, always, always draw everything in model space at it's full size whether you are drawing something as small as a paper clip or something as big as a luxury liner.

Looking at your latest drawing it appears you started your box 24 units to the right of 0,0 and 19 units up. Measured at an angle the corner of your box is about 30.6 units away from 0,0. I take it the tutorial does not tell the student where on the screen to start drawing the box. Is that correct?

This is what I get when I use your specific insertion point on a brand new drawing: [ATTACH]43620[/ATTACH]

Not zoomed with a scale of 1:1. You just need to zoom in on the object.

Thanks for quick response! Yes I use zoom, but to bring it into a good view it takes up the whole screen. So for what reason should I have to use zoom?? Do You when you draw every item?? I really wouldnt think so! Far as a trial on an old version, thats what I was given!

Thanks!!

i got bored reading the rest of the thread, but the answer to the above is YES!

in autocad you are constantly using mouse wheel (to zoom) and escape key (to cancel a command). many many many times a minute, so much so that it is completely sub-concious. i'm guessing, but i expect zoom to be my most used command by far.

Edited by mikekmx

Thanks for your help all! I was out of town, first chance to log back in!!

Tuns, it wont let me open your drawing,it is from a newer version than my 2008 , I guess!

Bob

Tuns, it wont let me open your drawing,it is from a newer version than my 2008 , I guess!

Bob

download the free TrueView from the Autodesk site to convert it to be suitable for 2008

Bob

download the free TrueView from the Autodesk site to convert it to be suitable for 2008
Not everyone's machine can handle TrueView. Mine can sometimes, but is really below spec. This is the sort of thing I was referring to in another post regarding DWG format. If the one who created the DWG is around, it can be far easier to have him convert it beforehand, whether he wants to or not.

Thanks for your help all! I was out of town, ...

You have Snap to Grid turned on in your files that you attached. I recommend that you turn that off F9.

You should place your 4" dimension about 3/8" away from the object line (you have it way out in space.

I don't understand why you have so much trouble with zoom - but continue on with the assignment and it should all start to fall in place.