new at Autocad 08

bobrl

Hello everyone, my name is Bob. My question is about using 2008, say drawing a box at 4"x4" square. When I enter the values to draw this box , it draws it proper, but it is so small on my desk top,say 1" square in size, and it is off screen to the lower left !! When I use linear dimension to mark the size ,you cant read the print ,because its so small!! I removed the program and reinstalled it and it still does the same thing, on two of my computers!! I am running it as a trial version, would that be the reason??? Please Help!!!

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• bobrl

• Tuns

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it did not occur to you to do a zoom > all or a zoom > extents.

How is it that you are running a trial version of a program that was released back in the spring of 2007? And no, running AutoCAD as a trial version, no matter the year would have nothing to do with it. I think it is just a matter of you being new to AutoCAD and perhaps CAD in general.

Thanks for quick response! Yes I use zoom, but to bring it into a good view it takes up the whole screen. So for what reason should I have to use zoom?? Do You when you draw every item?? I really wouldnt think so! Far as a trial on an old version, thats what I was given!

Thanks!!

Use zoom whenever the situation calls for it however it certainly isn't required every time you draw an object. You do know you can zoom in and out of your drawing using the mouse wheel don't you?

Well thats my problem!! I dont think I should have to zoom every time i draw. If the item is off screen when drawn, or sooo small you cant see it, there has to be a problem!!! I know I am new at this , but that shouldnt be the reason for this problem.

Thanks

It would depend on the circumstances. Is it possible one can be zoomed in so tight that objects leave their field of view? Definitely yes. Can one be zoomed out so far that objects appear to be mere dots? Definitely yes. I would say it speaks to the user's capabilities and has nothing to do with a program malfunction.

What template file are you using when starting a new drawing? Is it acad.dwt?

Do you have a mouse with a wheel?

What happens when you double click the wheel?

What happens when you turn the wheel? (try turning both ways - you should be able to get it the size you want on the screen)

Can you attach your dwg file here?

Are you taking a class to learn AutoCAD?

I find it rather astonishing that someone would re-install software before asking questions.

Remember AutoCAD is essentially a drafting board on a computer. You are telling the program to draw you rectangle in that area at that size. It would be like getting mad at your pencil for drawing a rectangle in the corner of your paper rather than the center of it.

When you open a new drawing AutoCAD will, by default, show a certain size of area, it does not know what you are going to be drawing. There is a big difference in size from drawing a part that is 4 x 4 x 4 inches to drawing a distribution plant that is 250,000 sq feet. I would recommend drawing an object and using the zoom extents (double click the scroll wheel). From there you can zoom in and out using the scroll wheel and panning by pressing and holding the scroll wheel down and dragging it across the screen.

As for you're dimnesioning issue, the same type of issue as above will affect this. Look into setting up dimension styles to help with this issue.

bobrl: I would recommend that you stop what you are doing and go through some of the tutorials here at CADTutor (both static and video) after which you may have a better understanding of AutoCAD and learn about setting up and getting around in your working environment.

Another excellent series of tutorials can be found here as well...http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/

You might also benefit from the purchase of a good after-market AutoCAD book.

Thanks guys!! It was not hard to reinstall, thought maybe I changed a setting , or something!! I have been watching a lesson video on basic drawing , a box like i am trying to do, and his box draws on screen , to a size I can see,looks to scale and the dimensions are readable. I tried to attach the lesson , but no luck. I have used several templates , no change. I am not taking a class.

Thanks!!

autocad lesson.pdf

And you managed to avoid almost all of our questions too. You're good.

Not much of a lesson. You would get more out of the exercises here at CADTutor and at MYCADSITE (see previous link).

I guess it did attach !! that is the lesson I spoke of. He doesnt zoom , or change anything! I enter the same values as he does , and I dont get his results!!!

So, why not answer the questions that we have asked? Maybe one of your answers will offer a clue as to what the problem (if any) might be.

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post via the Go Advanced button. At the next screen click on the Paperclip icon. Browse to where you DWG file is located and upload it. Then attach it to your post. Add a few words (10 characters minimum) then post it.

Stop yelling dude. It isn't giving a good impression.

I think you posted to the wrong thread. Try again. THIS IS CONSIDERED YELLING.

OK. Questions I didnt answer were about the mouse, and no I am using an lap top with scroll pad, I do also use a desk top,with a mouse and it functions as it should, rolling the wheel increases and decreases the drawing, not sure what was meant about double clicking the wheel though!!

The mouse wheel can be depressed just like a mouse button. Two quick downward taps executes a zoom > all.

Can you please attach a copy of the drawing to your next post?