standard blocks

jamos

Hi, I've been using autocad 2012 student version and all the blocks I've used in my dwgs up until now, is blocks I created myself or blocks that I get from someone else. Now, I've been told that autocad comes with a library of blocks in plan and elevation view. How do I access them?

And: can anyone please tell me some more about tool palletes?

Thanking you in advance

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• jamos

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AutoCAD does come with some (not many) dynamic blocks that can be found on the various tabs of your Tool Palettes.

First though you have to have your Tool Palettes displayed on your screen. Do you?

How do you access them while in AutoCAD? Type the "block" command and a window will come up with a drop down menu and a list of all the blocks you have. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it only displays the blocks that have been previously inserted into that specific drawing. Using the insert command you can browse for blocks in other drawings and insert them into the one your working on though. I'll let Mark take it since I don't know much in the means of blocks. :)

The OP is inquiring about blocks that reside on tool palettes. If he hasn't used any of them their names would not appear in the list. Is that not correct?

Assuming you are in a Drafting and Annotation workspace go to the Ribbon, click on the View tab > Palettes panel and click on Tool Palettes.

ArchitectureToolPalette.jpg

What your Tool Palettes should look like. The palette that is displayed is the Architectural one. Some of the blocks available are for doors (plan and elevation), windows (plan and elevation), trees, vehicles, etc. Note that blocks may be offered in both Imperial units and in Metric units so do not use the wrong ones.

As you may be able to tell from the image there are a number of different tabs. To name but a few: Civil, Electrical, Annotation, Hatches, and Tables.

I would recommend reading up on dynamic blocks first as they are not like generic blocks at all.

Yes, thank you. I found them, although in there is almost nothing of importance. For the timebeing I will stick to my existing collection. Anywhere I can find or download blocks, especially blocks wich I can insert as plan-, or elevation view?

Yes, thank you. I found them, although in there is almost nothing of importance. For the timebeing I will stick to my existing collection. Anywhere I can find or download blocks, especially blocks wich I can insert as plan-, or elevation view?

:lol: yes. after all that money on AutoCAD, then searching for what you expect to be more blocks than you could ever imagine :lol::lol:

i think perhaps (especially the dynamic blocks) they are just meant to be samples of what you can do, and to copy/modify/reverse engineer.

plenty of blocks on-line. mostly quicker to make your own though and build a nice library.

Hi, I've been using autocad 2012 student version and all the blocks I've used in my dwgs up until now, is blocks I created myself or blocks that I get from someone else.

Do not use any of these blocks when you use paid-for AutoCAD, because they will all have the Educational watermark. :shock:

Thank you JD, I'll check it out right now. Mostly I need blocks on windows doors etc. Most of the time I draw straightforward residential dwellings. All the blocks I've got is only elevation view. My mentor, he is using Caddie, uses blocks that you can insert either in elevation or plan view. That is what I'm looking for

The best place to look for 2D and 3D blocks of doors and windows is on a manufacturer's website. Marvin, Anderson and Pella all have libraries of blocks in DWG and sometimes in DXF file format. The 2D blocks include plan, elevation and very detailed sections. Here is an example:

http://pros.marvin.com/resources/2d-cad-drawings-windows-doors/

And another example:

http://www.windowsymbols.com/

If you use manufacturers blocks, take a good look at them. They often have too much detail and may contain a lot of information that you don't need. Stripping out that stuff could prevent problems in the future.

Who was the manufacturer? What excess information was included that you found to be of no value or in excess of what you needed? Was this a plan view, elevation view or detail block?