LT What do you use most

steven-g

What do people use most in LT. What sort of things do you try and customize or would like to customize, in order to make life easier

I have Diesel Macro's that I use everyday, not really customizing but I probably use dynamic blocks the most.

Edited by steven-g

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tuns

• tzframpton

• bbankston

• mwade93

I use a custom title block with a macro to fill in the fields as I need. I also use dimensions all day so I have a macro for stringing together the DIMLINEAR with DIMCONTINUE.

I use a custom title block with a macro to fill in the fields as I need. I also use dimensions all day so I have a macro for stringing together the DIMLINEAR with DIMCONTINUE.

Why I have not thought of doing that...oh that's right, I don't ever dimension. Good idea though, simple.

We use tool palettes, customized ribbon buttons (macros, not much DIESEL) to excess, pre-set layers, pre-set block libraries (we have only last month overhauled these to be annotatively scaled and aligned to viewport with great success). Then it's mostly adding text notes, 70% DTEXT and 30% MTEXT.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a custom title block with a macro to fill in the fields as I need. .

Did you know that you could parametrically link the fields of your title block to custom parameters that you can create in your dwg files? This way any time you inserted that titleblock into a multi-tabbed dwg it would automatically populate those fields upon inserting.

That sounds awesome. Steven recently helped me do something similar by linking a spreadsheet with an attribute in my drawing. It's pretty neat, but as for the fields I need a few of them to be custom. No macro or settings on the drawing would help. If you tell me how you do it though I'll find a way to use it. :) Would be great to know anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

I use my custom tool palette which stores a small library of dynamic and regular blocks. They're used often for shop drawings but not so much for production drawings. I'd like to know more about DIESEL and whatever the hell Tuns and Matsui21 are talking about.

Tuns,

I also know nothing of this "DIMLINEAR with DIMCONTINUE". I'd like to know more, please.

UPDATE: Well... dur... DIMLINEAR is just linear dimensioning. I never use the "shortcuts" of AutoCAD and I never found DIMCONTINUE very helpful in the past and also... (after I checked what "DIMCONTINUE" does) in the present.

Tuns,

I also know nothing of this "DIMLINEAR with DIMCONTINUE". I'd like to know more, please.

That is just:

^C^C^Cdimlinear;\\\dimcontinue;

That will give you as many clicks as you need with dimcontinue. Diesel is really easy to pick up just look up how to use the expressions it is quite simple I figured the basics out in about 2 hours.

Edit: Here is a customization guide for LT 2013. The diesel parts should still be the same.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACDMACLT/2013/ENU/PDFs/acdmaclt_2013_customization_guide.pdf

What do you want to know? What mwade said pretty much sums it up. You can tack a DIMCONTINUE onto any dimension command to make it do this. For example,

^c^cDIMALIGNED;\\\DIMCONTINUE;

will also work.

I see what both of those do now mwade93. Me and linear dimensioning are good friends however I've always found continuous dimensioning to not be very helpful. I'll update you on my progress with DIESEL.

I find it fairly useful to have because sometimes I have to dimension 8 plates all in a row. That would be a pain without DIMCONTINUE.

Where do I go from here? Is Diesel a third-party add on? Is it already in LT?

It's already in LT. This is a guide that you can read to learn the basics. Feel free to post if you have any questions you want help with :)

I do a lot of tool palette customization with DIESEL and scripts to take advantage of our dynamic block library.

I have also been dealing with a lot of field customization as well to take advantage of our file management system.

We also run some third party software (AutoWord and AutoTable) so I have been playing in excel to really take advantage of that as well.

I have the only full version of AutoCAD at our office as I need to do a fair bit of 3-D modelling when running interior lighting simulations.

• 2 weeks later...