File Save Error

Dieguy

I am frequently seeing an error when I save, especially in the idw file, that says "Cannot save file because it is in use by another process". I have only one intance of inventor running and only one drawing open at a time. I do get the error when saving the assembly though not as often and never in a single model. I'm guessing it's a Widows problem but I wondered if anyone here hase seen it and solved it.

Inventor 2011 64-bit

Windows 7 Pro

-Dieguy

Are you using Projects or are you using Vault?

Are you saving locally or on a network drive?

Have you installed all Service Packs and Hot Fixes or Updates?

Is this a new problem - or has it been happening for several years (2011 is an old release)?

When this happens, will Inventor let you do a File>Save Copy As?

When you see this come up, do you - just as a for instance - have multiple LOD's or anything active in the assemblies that the drawings are based on? Or do you have the welding environment open in the assembly? Sometimes that can throw off saving the .IDW, or saving the top-level assembly if you're doing something with LOD's or welding in a subassembly ...

• 1 year later...

It’s been over a year and I am still having this problem, so here are answers to the questions asked. I am using projects, saving locally. All service packs and hotfixes have been installed. This is a new problem (or was in 2013 when I first posted)

I have found that I never lose data, unless I keep working after the error without closing and re-opening the file set so this is an annoyance more than anything but it is really annoying and I do lose time to closing and reopening files. When this happens, there is a file with the same name but a “.newver” extension in the same folder. I ignore it and after a later successful save, it goes away.

It seemed to start about the same time I learned to use LOD and the view reps. I no longer use LOD but I use view reps extensively. I got a new computer about the same time so at first I thought it was related to that.

This happens most often in idw files, less often in the assembly files but still often and almost never in individual part files. (I’m not sure if it has ever happened in a part file)

-Inventor 2011 -Windows-7 64-bit -i5 with 8GB RAM -Quadro FX3450

Note: I use Inventor 2014 Pro at my day job and it has happened once there too.