How do I... Import EPS files to Autocad?

maffpunton

Hi!

I have some vector EPS mapping files. Is there any way I can import them to AutoCAD ADT 2005 for editing?

They are quite large files too: I have tried using illustrator to open them an then export to DXF/DWG but illustrator usully crashes through extreme memory usage.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robing

• bbankston

• Cad64

• maffpunton

EPS files are rasterized versions of autocad drawings. Even if you could open them in autocad, you wouldn't be able to do anything with them, other than look at them. You will have to convert them to be able to edit them.

EPS files are rasterized versions of autocad drawings. Even if you could open them in autocad, you wouldn't be able to do anything with them, other than look at them. You will have to convert them to be able to edit them.

That's what I'm after.

• 7 months later...

I'm using AutoCAd 2002. A client has sent me an eps file. I want to edit it with AutoCAD. I have downloaded the EPS converter program. Now what?

What file type do I convert (export?) it to? And what is the best way to insert/attach/whatever into AutoCAD?

I did that, actually. I inserted the file as a raster image and scaled it perfectly. Problem is, I can't edit it and it comes out very blurry. I adjusted the quality some and it helped but it still looks blurry.

Is it even possible to edit this file anyway?

Thank you for your previous quick reply, by the way.

I don't believe you can edit the file. I just plotted off an EPS to see how to insert it and I had to open the file into photoshop and save it as a JPG. and scaled it. No matter what I believe you will have to redraw it. Sorry I couldn't help.

David

Google Gsview and download it. It might do the job for you. Once you open it, go to Edit menu>Convert to vector format and convert your EPS file to dxf. You will have to rename the converted file to whatever.dxf. Then you can open and edit it in acad.

Ok, I have always thought that an EPS was a vector file. In fact I just tested this. I exported part of a file from AutoCAD as an EPS and it opens in Adobe Illustrator as a vector file. Now are EPS files like PDF files, that is can there be both raster and vector versions?

I would download the 30 day demo of Illustrator and see if it can open the EPS and then export out as a dwg file. Might be worth a try. Beats the heck out of tracing over a jpg.

EDIT: Well, I see where you tried Illustrator above. Sucked that it did not work :(

EPS or Encapsulated Post Script is another "plot" language, just like all the recent qurries over .plt files. We used to print to EPS to create our PDF files with distiller. As a plot language it should be possible to read the file and recreate the picture. It will not contain any "model" information although if a colour version was created that information would be included.

• 3 years later...
Google Gsview and download it. It might do the job for you. Once you open it, go to Edit menu>Convert to vector format and convert your EPS file to dxf. You will have to rename the converted file to whatever.dxf. Then you can open and edit it in acad.

After installing GSview, google and install PStoEdit (a plug in for GSview), the do the file conversion as described above.

Flawless conversion of a .EPS vector to a .DXF vector...For free...Very happy!

After installing GSview, google and install PStoEdit (a plug in for GSview), the do the file conversion as described above.

Flawless conversion of a .EPS vector to a .DXF vector...For free...Very happy!

Excellent - thanks for sharing that!:)

• 5 months later...

Why don't you using 'Adobe illustrator'?

First import or open your file using illustrator.

after imporing you can export to various type including DWG foramt..

maffpunton,

If it truly is a vector EPS all you would need is Adobe Illustrator to export it out as a .DXF or .DWG. I'm sure you can download a trial version and convert the file. If you still have questions about how to do that PM me or reply back on this thread.

About the Illustrator thingy, not sure about Shag_Sharples and Ryder76 particular file sizes, but the OP noted he'd already tried it that way - due to file size Illustrator crashed for him. The GhostScript + GSView + PStoEdit method should not have this problem as GSView only shows the EPS/PS/PDF file at a configurable resolution, but calculations & conversions are done through GhostScript which is extremely efficient on RAM usage (I've done this exact thing on a PDF which was 50MB in size and the RAM usage never went above 700MB - opening that file in PS would use up all of 2GB, not sure about AI).

Not to mention, what if you want to do it again at a later stage with other files? Once your trial period's up you can't uninstall and then reinstall it (without doing some hacking) - which would be illegal in any event. So if you need to use AI on a more regular basis (and it works on your file sizes) then by all means - buy it. If you're only going to do this once in a while, I can't see AI's expense being justified - thus the Open Source route is your best bet.