Scaling a floor plan in AutoCAD 2014

DonL

I'm new to AutoCAD and I'm trying to scale a floor plan (the outer edge is the land perimeter). I have tried just about everything I could find on the Internet but can't seem to get it to work:cry:. I attached a copy for reference.

Basically I'm trying to scale it at 6.85 x 11 meters so that it will be accurate.

I would really appreciate some help.

1st floor.dwg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DonL

• ReMark

• Dana W

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not at a computer right now to open the DWG. but SCALE > [R]reference (watch the command line) should always work if there are known measurements in the drawing.

There does not appear to be any dimensions on the drawing. Of the objects that are included do you know the dimensions of any one of them? It looks like the property line, if that's what it is, has been designated by a hatch pattern. A bit unorthodox in my opinion. Do you have the site measurements?

I tried drawing the dimensions and then selecting the layout and scaling but I must be doing something wrong.

ReMark, I only know the dimensions of the property lines. That's why I need to scale it so that I can figure out the rest of the dimensions. It's a Japanese house that I have a PDF of. I converted it in Illustrator and then exported as a DWG.

The site measurements are 6.85 x 11 meters.

It appears your drawing is opening in imperial units (inches) not in metric units.

6.85x11 would not be the dimensions of the property lines. Those would be the dimensions of the house itself.

I find it odd that when I move the block it suddenly depicts a red layer with much more detail on it yet I cannot seem to access it. Maybe that's a fluke introduced by the conversion process?

I tried exploding the block but that did not make the red colored objects appear. You might have better luck bringing the image into AutoCAD using IMAGEATTACH and then tracing over it. Make sure you use a metric template like acadiso.dwt and not the default template named acad.dwt.

I opened it and this is what I found.

The dwg is imperial, the house is imperial. I set up a dim style to match. The lines in the block were too dark to see. The hatch is actually the exterior wall. I went into the block editor and changed the lines to "white".

After I set up the dim style I set up a layout. I will upload a pdf when I move over to chrome. IE will NOT upload a 45 kb pdf.

OK, in Chrome, let's try it again. To repeat, I didn't change anything but the line color and I defined a dim style, and added a Dims layer.

I don't draw for free, so I am not going to load the modified drawing back up.

By the way, EVERY line in the block is a separate line segment, and they are on the same layer, but I guess that is a result of the conversion. That is one reason why I just don't bother. It is faster to trace or draw than correct a mess. Oh, yeah. I have no idea where that property line on the layout came from. IT is not locatable in modelspace or the block editor, and it is only visible in the layout. I saw nothing in the layers to account for it.

1st floor-Layout1.pdf

OK...I figured out what I was doing wrong and can at least see the entire house.

I come up with an overall size of 7470.66x11207.51mm or 7.47x11.2m. Does that sound correct?

When I did a LIST it came back that there were almost 3600 objects which is quite a lot even for a drawing this size.

Using the OVERKILL command will get rid of 8 duplicate objects and clean up 236 overlapping objects.

I did a copy/paste from your original into a new drawing based upon a metric template.

I agree with Dana. Trace it over. I'd suggest using polylines (continuous) and set up some separate layers too for walls, text, dimensions, hatches, etc. It will make working with the drawing a lot easier.

As ReMark says it will make your life easier to copy everything into a metric template "ACADISO" and if you know the size of one item then start the scale command, pick the base point then type in 'r' or choose reference, and pick the two points that you know are 11 meters apart, then type 11000 when you are prompted for the new length, you will have to zoom extents to see the drawing again.

ReMark, I only know the dimensions of the property lines. That's why I need to scale it so that I can figure out the rest of the dimensions. It's a Japanese house that I have a PDF of. I converted it in Illustrator and then exported as a DWG.

The site measurements are 6.85 x 11 meters.

I am quite bemused by all this "help" being offered. The OP said what the property dimensions were, but some advice said that was nonsense and it was actually the house dimensions :shock:

Then the OP was talking about metres, but was given advice in imperial dimensions and millimetre dimensions :shock:

Just because when looking at the Units format, something says "inches" DOES NOT mean to say that it is in imperial units. It means that the source has drawn it in units, but has used the wrong template.

Get a grip guys :lol:

My take on the matter is that the whole is not equally scaled in the x and y dimensions, if indeed the dimensions were 6.85m x 11.00m. So which dimension is correct?

I think you fell off your chair eldon and bonked your head.

The OP in post #1 refers to the outer edge as the land perimeter despite the fact it is supposed to be a drawing of a floor plan. I don't know, maybe lots in Japan are no bigger than the house that occupies them. I've had gardens that were bigger.

I am quite bemused by all this "help" being offered. The OP said what the property dimensions were, but some advice said that was nonsense and it was actually the house dimensions :shock:

Then the OP was talking about metres, but was given advice in imperial dimensions and millimetre dimensions :shock:

Just because when looking at the Units format, something says "inches" DOES NOT mean to say that it is in imperial units. It means that the source has drawn it in units, but has used the wrong template.

Get a grip guys :lol:

My take on the matter is that the whole is not equally scaled in the x and y dimensions, if indeed the dimensions were 6.85m x 11.00m. So which dimension is correct?

The only help I intended to offer is what is actually in the existing drawing so we could get on with how to fix it. Well, also I thought I would mention to the OP that their use of the term "scale" in that context, tells me that the OP means "to measure" rather than to change the size of something.

The imperial dimensions, when mathematically converted to meters, match almost exactly in the "Y" axis, and within .66 m in the "X" axis along the exterior wall to what the OP stated the "property line" measured to. I write this off to badly executed "distance" measurements taken by the OP actually of the exterior wall, and not the property line. After all, it is very difficult to see the geometry without changing the colors, and the supposed property line was almost undetectable before changing its color.

The house is, in fact 264.1206 units wide. Does copying an object into the "wrong" template reduce or increase the number of units? Maybe it was scaled up from 6 +- units to 264 +- units when inserted.

Beats me. I'll leave it to the experts.

I think you fell off your chair eldon and bonked your head.

That is entirely possible.

But I do think that in cases like this, we should try and give responses that are sympathetic to the OP's statements. :?

Of course it would help if we knew the size of the Tatami room.

This quote from Wikipedia

The size of tatami differs between different regions in Japan. In the Kyoto area, tatami generally measure .955m by 1.91m. Tatami of this size are referred to as Kyōma tatami. Tatami in the Nagoya region generally measure .91m by 1.82m, and are referred to as ainoma (lit., "in-between" size) tatami. In the region around Tokyo, tatami generally measure .88m by 1.76m. Tatami of this size are referred to as Edoma or Kantōma tatami. In terms of thickness, 5.5 cm is average for a Kyōma tatami, while 6.0 cm is the norm for a Kantōma tatami.[2] A half mat is called a hanjō, and a mat of three-quarter length, which is used in tea-ceremony rooms (cha****su), is called daimedatami.[1] In terms of traditional Japanese length units, a tatami is (allowing for regional variation) 1 ken by half a ken, or equivalently 6 shaku by 3 shaku – formally this is 1. 1.81818 metres (5.9652 ft) × 0.90909 metres (2.9826 ft), the size of Nagoya tatami. Note that a shaku is almost the same length as one foot in the traditional English/American measurement system.

One possible layout of a 4½ mat room.

Half mat

Full mat

In Japan, the size of a room is often measured by the number of tatami mats (-畳 -jō), about 1.653 square meters (for a standard (Nagoya) size tatami). Alternatively, in terms of traditional Japanese area units, room area (and especially house floor area) is measured in terms of tsubo, where one tsubo is the area of two tatami mats (a square); formally 1 ken by 1 ken or a 1.81818... meter square, about 3.306 square meters.

Some common room sizes are (in the Nagoya region):

4½ mats = 9 shaku × 9 shaku ≈ 2.73 m × 2.73 m

6 mats = 9 shaku × 12 shaku ≈ 2.73 m × 3.64 m

8 mats = 12 shaku × 12 shaku ≈ 3.64 m × 3.64 m

Shops were traditionally designed to be 5½ mats,[citation needed] and tea rooms are frequently 4½ mats.

I search around the block to see if I could find some logical reference and this is the only thing I found in my non-exhaustive search.

(actually I checked it out to 8 decimal places, only 6 shown)

6 inches.PNG got a little more curious and found one wall (across from Entrance) where it is perfect 6" square.

This leads me to believe inches and uniformly scaled.

But that doesn't explain all the other dimensions. I would expect to find some uniformity in inch or metric (with conversion). I start to wonder if building units (and by units in this context I mean standard parts) in Japan are as screwed up as the US system. Or did the designer simply not use standard building units.

In my non-exhaustive search I did not find any dimensions that would have what I would consider logic metric equivalents in a design. (example - I would expect to find nice even distances like 1.5m or similar when allowed for units conversion)

With that those perfect 6x6 squares in one wall - how can I come to conclusion of a non-uniform scaling mistake?

If anyone tried scaling up the outer perimeter to 11000 you would find the other direction to be 6763 not quite 6850 but it's better than a 1% difference

Wow, thanks for all the comments. Yes, homes and land in Japan are very small. We have inherited a piece of land that is oddly shaped and we want to build a home so that we can escape Tokyo on the weekends. Homes in Tokyo can occupy almost 100% of the land but in the suburbs it can be from 60-80% of the land depending on the area. I want to use this home plan as a reference. I think I can make it work, but I will have to reduce the width by about 30 cm. The dotted line on the perimeter is the land size and is 6.85 x 11 meters according to the architect/website that I obtained it from. Tatami are not uniform throughout Japan that's why I didn't use it as a reference. I just need to get it as close as possible to 6.85 x 11 meters and steven-g seems to have done that. And yes JD building units in Japan are screwed up. They use Tsubo for land and metric for buildings.

Now back to scaling the image:cry:. I have four floors as references, along with a south view and an east view. I obtained the PDFs from the architect and so they should be accurate. I would be willing to pay someone to scale all of the images, that's how frustrated I am. I would prefer to not trace over each image since I will be importing them into Revit so that I can design our home based on this one. If any of you are curious here is a link to the finished home http://www.cooplanning.com/works/house-in-kounan_works.html. At the very top are the dimensions of the land in meters.

If someone can tell me step by step how to scale it, I would greatly appreciate it:). Steven-gI will give your recommendation a try for the time being.

...Basically I'm trying to scale it at 6.85 x 11 meters so that it will be accurate.

How are you determining that it is not accurate now?

All I need is one reference dimension (two would be best, one horizontal and one vertical) of some known dimension to calculate the scale.

But I don't see anything to use as reference and the perfect 6x6 would lead me to believe that it is already accurate.

Well, I took it out a few more decimal places and it isn't perfect 6x6 inches, but what do you think that should be in metric?

square.PNG

Post #9 is step by step. But if you need to make the scale different in 2 directions then you will need to turn the whole thing into a block, and the properties palette will then allow you to stretch the block by different x and y values. The problem with scaling this to the perimeter distance is that it will distort the actual building size, so it will mean that you do have to redraw some of the details. Another option would be scale a building element (say a doorway) untill it is the correct size and then use stretch to get the building to the size you want.