keyword search within Autocad Files/Title block

Does anybody know how to search for keywords within autocad file? word in title block, I got alot of DWG files inside the Hard drive, my co worker was asking me to plot out one of the drawing, don't know the drawing number but only know the date/mo/years was created, and the words inside the file. i typed in the window explorer as shown below but found none. sometime it's very difficult to look for the certain drawing when someone named by number and letter, i like to name the cad drawing with good description and then i put the dwg # or Pro# in the title block.

PID.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sengna

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As is usually the case, Lee Mac can help you do that,

with one his wonderful lisps, very generously made available free of charge on his website.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

http://www.lee-mac.com/bfind.html

Use the SEARCH ONLY option.

I find it hard to believe that the only viable way to locate it is by the date,

not to say I don't believe you, but rather that you need to implement

a logical way to name, organize and save your files. :|

Edited by Dadgad

As is usually the case, Lee Mac can help you do that,

with one his wonderful lisps, very generously made available free of charge on his website.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

http://www.lee-mac.com/bfind.html

Use the SEARCH ONLY option.

. :}

I tried to load the LSP file on my system, i follow Method 1 on his web (using upload), in Autocad i typed in Appload but i can't find the (Mylisp.lsp) i don't know how to get that extension (www.lee-mac.com/runlisp.html). How can i get it? should i get from the original CD.

lisp.JPG

You need to download the lisp from Lee's site and remember where you put it on your computer.

Then you can browse to wherever you saved it, and load it from there.

The dialog box shown in your last post will enable you to browse to, and load it.

The lisp you want to load will be named BFIND (for Batch Find).

It won't already be on your computer, you need to download it first, if you haven't already.

If you are uncomfortable loading and using a new lisp, might there be someone else who can help you with it?

You need to download the lisp from Lee's site and remember where you put it on your computer.

Then you can browse to wherever you saved it, and load it from there.

The dialog box shown in your last post will enable you to browse to, and load it.

The lisp you want to load will be named BFIND (for Batch Find).

It won't already be on your computer, you need to download it first, if you haven't already.

If you are uncomfortable loading and using a new lisp, might there be someone else who can help you with it?

Okay, i see, i guess i have to contact my IT to buy it or something if they have them for sale.

i saw one tutorial on youtube where he showed how to import LIsp from CUI. i tried it didn't work.

Thanks

You don't need to buy anything.

Lee makes the lisp available as a free download from his site.

Once it is on your computer, it can be loaded and run.

Given the confusion this seems to be causing, I would caution against

running this yourself on all of your files.

Maybe your IT person would better understand how to do it, or a more senior cad user,

just don't BUY anything from said individual.

You need to use method 2 for bfind www.lee-mac.com/runlisp.html

or you can add It to startup suite through appload (my preference)

I recommend using a batching program that all work differently for e.g. (http://www.ezscriptpro.com/)

as for a program that can help Microsoft explorer find text within dwg files I am not sure.

You do not import a lisp file from a CUI. Not sure where you got that bit of information from.

I'm also not sure what advantage a script would have when it comes for searching for one drawing amongst many. Maybe Sunny can enlighten us.

You downloaded Lee Mac's lisp routine and placed it somewhere on your hard drive. Yes or no?

I tested Lee Mac's lisp routine using a date as my search criteria and I am happy to report that it worked.

I downloaded his routine to my desktop then opened one of my drawings. I used APPLOAD to load the routine. All I had to do was to navigate to the place on my hard drive where the file was stored. This is a simple and straightforward procedure using the "Look in:" feature at the top of the Load/Unload Applications dialog box. Once the lisp file is located I used the "Load" button. Immediately after the program is loaded looking at the command line I am told to type BFind to run the program. Once again...very easy.

When BFind is run a dialog window will appear and that is where your search criteria is entered (just as it is shown at Lee Mac's website). See the attached image below to view exactly what my search criteria was.

BatchFind&Replace.JPG

My test was conducted using a directory that contained only five drawings so the search did not take very long. Try to narrow down your search as much as possible to save on time. Don't just do a search of your entire C: drive as it may take a very long time to get back the results.

ReplacementReport.JPG

The result of the search is an Excel spreadsheet called Replacement Report. As you can see my search resulted in the finding of one file with the date I specified in my search.

on his web, on Method 1 it shows MYLISPs folder, but my doesn't have it.

Lee Mac was just offering up an example. The folder you store your lisp routines in (you do have a separate folder for such things don't you?) can be named anything you want. The point Lee is trying to make is that you should have a place to store lisp routines and know how to navigate to it via a Browse or Load button. This is a skill every computer user should know.

BTW...how are your CAD drawings stored in the first place? Do you have individual folders for specific pieces of equipment or do you have just one folder with every CAD drawing ever created stored within? I am surprised you do not have a master drawing database file at the very least for finding and keeping track of drawings. That is just poor planning on somebody's part.

BTW...how are your CAD drawings stored in the first place? Do you have individual folders for specific pieces of equipment or do you have just one folder with every CAD drawing ever created stored within? I am surprised you do not have a master drawing database file at the very least for finding and keeping track of drawings. That is just poor planning on somebody's part.

All my CAD drawings are stored in one hard drive, the dwg stored by each building, and inside the building folder it got sub folder and sub folder, but this drawing i don't know which folder it goes to, no good description on the old printout, just some key words, no title block. It may take all day to search each folder and open each drawing.

Well that's at least some good news (the fact there are dedicated folders and sub-folders). The bad news is you'll have to search the entire master folder. If more than one drawing meets the search criteria then it will be shown in the spreadsheet.

I can't believe there is no master drawing database. Someone ought to do something about that don't you think?

EDIT: Sorry, ReMark already went over this one, but just in case you missed his post (I did), I will leave mine here.

on his web, on Method 1 it shows MYLISPs folder, but my doesn't have it.
OK, take a deep breath, exhale slowly.

MYLISP is Lee's (and everyone else's) way of telling you to use the folder name where you saved the lisp program. He could have called it anything. It doesn't exist yet. MYLISP = ANY folder on your computer that you decide to save the downloaded lisp in.

Before you download the lisp, create a folder and name it something, anything. You can name it MYLISP if you like, then save the lisp in it.

All my CAD drawings are stored in one hard drive, the dwg stored by each building, and inside the building folder it got sub folder and sub folder, but this drawing i don't know which folder it goes to, no good description on the old printout, just some key words, no title block. It may take all day to search each folder and open each drawing.
Do you at least know which "building" your search should be concentrated in? Where I have done a lot of work this past year has about the worst drawing library organization I have seen, but they at least have them filed by year then by job number. It rarely takes me more than a minute to find some old drawing in there just by eye and click.

Since you are using Windows 7 you can use Windows Explorer to do the search and if you want one of the criteria can be the date. However, you'll have a quicker time of it if you can narrow the search down to a particular building. Obviously, there will be no report as with Lee Mac's lisp routine. BTW...I tested this using a date and it does work.

If you still have trouble finding the right drawing you may have to go from a simple search to one that is more advanced in which case refer to this article by Microsoft re: "Advanced tips for searching in Windows."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/advanced-tips-for-searching-in-windows

I can't believe there is no master drawing database. Someone ought to do something about that don't you think?

Thanks for the advice, i have been tied up with work today but i will get back and reply at the end of the day. There are many chages for this job position lately, that's why thing are not in good organize as i want to but i will spend my free time to store them in order, what do you mean by MASTER DWG DATABASE?? i have what is called Master site plan and that was it.

A master drawing database would list and track ALL company drawings whether they are site plans, equipment plans, building layouts, process diagrams, or whatever. We have about 2,600 drawings in our database. Those include all paper, vellum, mylar drawings as well as all our CAD drawings. Each is assigned a number and filed in a series of flat files kept in the engineering department. Anyone with access to the drawing database can look up a drawing using a series of predesigned queries or they can use the FIND feature and search any one of the database fields such as title, project number, CAD drawing file name, vendor, etc. Searches can also be done by building and/or process number. We are a small specialty chemical manufacturer.

Lee Mac was just offering up an example. The folder you store your lisp routines in (you do have a separate folder for such things don't you?) can be named anything you want. The point Lee is trying to make is that you should have a place to store lisp routines and know how to navigate to it via a Browse or Load button. This is a skill every computer user should know.

---I see, that is easy then, name whatever that will be easy for me to remember when I have to browse for it.