Advertising tactics

steven-g

Advertising is a way of life, you have to put up with it, but when it gets invasive so as this new Samsung one that loads a video even when you just move over it to get at the menu for this site, is starting to get annoying. And it only showed up today.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• Tuns

• Lee Roy

• steven-g

Advertising is a way to produce revenue so this site remains free for the end users. I'd say it's a good trade off. The owner of CADTutor.net keeps the ads to a minimum; not like some sites where there's an ad between every post and a constant column of ads along either side of the browser.

I don't have a problem in general with advertising. I just hate it when it is in your face, door to door selling is banned in some places in the UK, but they still do it occasionally, and telephone sales calls in the middle of your evening meal (or anytime of day) all get met with the same response (none). However if I see something that looks interseting I will click on an advert, and do regularly.

I don't mind the advertising but it shouldn't get in the way of what you are doing at the site. Some of those ads affect the back button, too.

"Backspace" on your keyboard does the same as the "Back" button in the browser, as well as "Up one folder" in Windows Explorer. It's also easier to find and hit.

Shift+Backspace is "Forward".

Depending on your browser, F4 or F6 puts your cursor into the address field to type in a URL.

I hate using my mouse if I don't have to, keyboard is faster for me. It also eliminates scrolling over ads and all those dumb word-links on other sites

I don't mind the ads. They create small revenue to keep the forum free for us. I click on them every now and then, as they also pay CADTutor a certain amount per-click. They might pay out $.15/1k views but each click is usually worth around a dollar. I know these numbers because I have an Ad-Sense account running ads on other forums.

I didn't mean the actual button. Certain ad(s) somehow become my previous page. I have not taken note of which one(s) but I'm pretty sure its something to do with the ones that change as you are reading a page.

What's worse than ads are pages that wont let you leave them. For example, you click back 15 times and it reloads the page your on instead of going back to the google searches.

Thats something called redirect, which is a sort of directory, so when you push back, it actually sends you back to the redirect page which sends you nicely back to where you just tried getting away from. A quick double click will usually work sending you back 2 pages.

Yeah, no. I've clicked multiple times out of frustration and no joy.

This can depend on the type of redirect. If they've used an index.php or index.html page to redirect, it's easy to double-click to get past it. If they've used an .htaccess or server-based, it can be a little tougher. If they redirect through a proxy-server, it can be almost impossible like you're saying.

How do they get more difficult using different bases?

The speed at which the redirect is processed can be faster than your ability to click past it.

By the time you've clicked the second time, the redirect has already processed and your second click is just going back to the redirect ... to be redirected ... again.