object snap problems

Since Autocad 2012 version, the object snap function seems to have been downgraded. Before, hovering over an snap would select the point. Now, I have to zoom in to get any precision. Not zooming would result in selecting an area near the snap, not on the object snap itself. This affects all snaps, including endpoint, midpoint, intersection, etc. Very frustrating to keep zooming into an area in order to select anything. I am using the 2013 version, another co-worker was using the 2012 and now 2014 version and noticed the same issue.

First off, welcome to CAD Tutor. :) Second, have you done any research as to why it wont snap correctly? I have 2014 AutoCAD and I don't have your problem. The only thing I can think of without looking at what you have is too many lines in one spot. Other than that I don't have a clue.

My guess is there is some confusion over terminology and OSNAPS and/or OSnap Tracking is either turned off, or using different settings than the previous version.

Snaps.gif

You should set the marker to show and adjust the size of the aperture to a larger size. That should do it.

The settings were migrated over from AutoCAD 2011. The marker shows, aperture is fairly large, osnap tracking is on. I have never had this problem before the 2012 version. The only thing I can think of is there is too many osnap modes on (only the node, and parallel modes are turned off).

Thanks for all the responses. Turning off otrack and the nearest marker eliminated all the problems.

The NEAREST snap is useful in some circumstances, but I very rarely use it, as it will muddy the waters regarding all the other snaps.

Perpendicular is one I use a great deal, but it frequently muscles out all of the other snap options which might be enabled.

Thanks for all the responses. Turning off otrack ....eliminated all the problems.

I would not call that a solution at all - I always use otrack.

Another thing that occurred to me is you might have Snap turned on and be snapping to a fine grid. (I turn both of these off.)