Preferred method of starting a new drawing

Do you

1. start a new drawing from a template

2. start a new drawing from scratch and insert a titleblock

3. the hardest way to do it start from scratch and draw everything including the

titleblock

please include a brief description of which method you use

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• Ski_Me

Start a new drawing from a pre-defined template that I have previously created as a .dwt and that is set up with all my dimensions layers text etc.

Insert my title blocks as a block into model space.

I don't use paper space, but if I did I would have all the pages pre-configured to suit my printer/plotter sizes.

1. Start new file from my personal template(s) in which I have defined all layers, colors, lineweights... dimension styles and more.

2. Complete the modelspace

3. Go to Paperspace layout and select pre-defined sheet size/border and place TitleBlock (with attributes).

Everything is always setup and ready to go. Set it once and forget it.

I use templates with styles and drawing based variables already configured. I also have multiple layouts and titleblocks in my template as it's faster to delete unneeded layouts/titleblocks than it is to insert them.

I use templates with styles and drawing based variables already configured. I also have multiple layouts and titleblocks in my template as it's faster to delete unneeded layouts/titleblocks than it is to insert them.

+1 for this topic.

Start from a template, then in PS xref in a title block, xref in logo, insert attributed block for title block info, (all done with one push of a button)

Custom template all the way, includes my default paperspace titleblock, and is extremely comprehensive.

The titleblock will likely be changed, depending on how the drawing is to be used.

If working on a logical succession of drawings for a specific project then I will probably use SAVE AS,

and rename for the next drawing, or create a .dwt for that specific job.

Use QNEW and hope that the template has been updated to something almost usable because that template is supposed to have all the company standard settings. Then proceed to check/modify settings to be correct. Sorry for the rant, but out template really sucks. It's only slightly modified from the default settings.

Sorry for the rant, but out template really sucks. It's only slightly modified from the default settings.

Why don't you update it then? :lol: It doesn't take that long.

It depends on the job. If it is a totally new job, then start from scratch with one of the predefined template.

If it is a job similar to another recent job I have done (where some elements can be copied), then I will sometimes make a copy of that job and work on that file as the new one.

Never ever start from an old drawing, more often than not it brings back old headaches.

Always start from one of a list of predefined templates and add titleblocks as I go.

If an existing drawing brings back old headaches you did something wrong to begin with. In which case, start with a new drawing template. Our P&IDs tend to be constantly updated year by year as changes and updates are made to equipment, piping, valves and instrumentation. We may have been started in the 1930's but our process equipment and instrumentation is very much up-to-date.

In a collaborative environment it is frowned upon to use files from previous projects. Mostly because almost all of the drawings have elements from outside sources. Although these are trustworthy sources, some of the CADding is questionable. Even within this office, there are some bad practices going on. I've had project dead lines come up that I dreaded the printing process because of the instability of some of these files. AutoCAD has gotten a lot better but trouble shooting files used to be a good portion of my job. It's best to start with a clean slate.

My first drafting job was the same. I rebuilt every block, set every standard. Every file was my template. I wish I had half as much control of the files I work with now, as I did then. It's not for a lack of trying. There are just too many cooks in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, we do put out a quality product, engineering wise. It's the stuff below the surface that isn't so hot.

99% of our drawings are produced in-house for our own purposes and as such contain no elements from outside sources.

Every file I get comes from an outside source and along with it all the extra baggage that I don't need. So I take out what I don't need and what it will let me take out then create a block out of what I have left and insert it into a new drawing with no template, but I still get a bunch of extra layers and blocks that were xref'ed from the original drawing that system will not purge. Trying create drawings that don't have all that extra stuff but not lose my layer's that I need.

My previous statement really only applies to our process piping and instrumentation diagrams. Our fabrication drawings are basically done from scratch using a pre-defined template with the requisite layers, etc. All of our electrical drawings are done using a totally different template designed to work exclusively with AutoCAD Electrical's database system.

... Although these are trustworthy sources, some of the CADding is questionable. .... instability of some of these files. AutoCAD has gotten a lot better ...//

Sounds like contradictory statements and blaming AutoCAD rather than the "software" operating AutoCAD.

:P