Lee Mac - the lisp legend

samifox

Lee Mac

I hope I'm not embarrassing you.

You have already more than 16k posts in 5 years period of time,

Every post get your detailed explination

Im sure lots of members would like to know more about you,

I always have the feeling that you was the one who invented lisp, but no way you are that old,

Would you like to share, how many years of lisp you have? What is your bg and such?

Again hope I'm not being rude

Thanks

shay

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• rkmcswain

• nestly

• neophoible

Wow - I'm truly flattered by this thread!

Many thanks guys, I appreciate your kind compliments & commendations :)

I always have the feeling that you was the one who invented lisp, but no way you are that old

Ha! I'm nowhere near in the league of the late & great John McCarthy!

Would you like to share, how many years of lisp you have? What is your bg and such?

Where programming is concerned, I have approximately 4 years experience in writing AutoLISP & Visual LISP applications (including DCL & ObjectDBX based programs); I also have experience in relatively basic web design (HTML/CSS - I coded my own site from the ground up), and have minimal experience in C/C++/C#/Python - just enough to write console programs!

As far as my background, I studied a mathematics degree which forced me to develop a strictly logical mindset and consequently my learning of the various customisation programming languages progressed relatively quickly.

And then there are those of us who remembers when Lee first came here, all young and green and asked all those questions :thumbsup:

You deserve the cheers mate :)

Being relatively new here myself, I was amazed when I stumbled upon a green post by newbie Lee Mac,

whom I imagined had been banging out great lisps for a lot longer than he actually had.

A meteoric ascent it has been Lee, keep up the great work, and thanks for your generosity, and all the help you

have given, and continue to give to others along the way. :beer:

I couldn't help but check out the link that you posted to see who you felt was a legend, and it seems

you were right. John McCarthy would be a tough act to follow.

Damn, some people are so smart, how great!

And then there are those of us who remembers when Lee first came here, all young and green and asked all those questions :thumbsup:

I intended writing a similar reply but you said it so much better.

Thanks again Lee for all the help you have given me too.

You only get back what you put in.

Looking at all of the deserved praise that you have received Lee, both here and in other posts and forums, you can see what we think you have put in. I can only join in with all the others and thank you for all of your knowledge, wisdom and expertise. Currently I don't do LISP any longer, but I always read your posts and learn something new.

Wow - I'm truly flattered by this thread!

Many thanks guys, I appreciate your kind compliments & commendations :)

Ha! I'm nowhere near in the league of the late & great John McCarthy!

Hey Lee, if after 4 years the best comparison of knowledge is the man who created lisp himself, where will you find yourself after 10? o:)

I intended writing a similar reply but you said it so much better.

Thanks again Lee for all the help you have given me too.

Being relatively new here myself, I was amazed when I stumbled upon a green post by newbie Lee Mac, whom I imagined had been banging out great lisps for a lot longer than he actually had.

A meteoric ascent it has been Lee, keep up the great work, and thanks for your generosity, and all the help you have given, and continue to give to others along the way. :beer:

It makes me laugh when I look back at some of my early threads - and it can be rather embarassing when one of my old threads is dragged back up by a new post... But I guess we all had to start somewhere, and if it wasn't for those kind members (ASMI, CAB to name but a few) who generously donated their time to answering my many questions and steering me in the right direction with my learning, I wouldn't be where I am today where AutoLISP is concerned. And so in turn, I feel it only right that I try my best to help other new members with the same effort & dedication that members showed me when I first joined.

:love: Lee Mac!

Blimey, Im married! I better calm down.

:lol:

You only get back what you put in.

Looking at all of the deserved praise that you have received Lee, both here and in other posts and forums, you can see what we think you have put in. I can only join in with all the others and thank you for all of your knowledge, wisdom and expertise. Currently I don't do LISP any longer, but I always read your posts and learn something new.

Thank you Tyke - that's really nice of you to say.

I'm delighted that members such as yourself can also indirectly benefit from my posts when answering the questions raised by the OP.

Lee is a natural linguist, so it's no surprise he's as good as he is. I have a few friends who are high level programmers and their personality shows many signs of linguistic traits. One of those friends is a full pastie white boy 'Merican, and he married a Hispanic who's first language is Spanish. This friend can program natively in 20+ languages and is a very high level applications developer. Well, because of talents he learned Spanish in three months. It's just the way he's designed... his brain is logical with syntax, semantics, pragmatics, characters, etc.

Lee is a natural linguist, so it's no surprise he's as good as he is. I have a few friends who are high level programmers and their personality shows many signs of linguistic traits. One of those friends is a full pastie white boy 'Merican, and he married a Hispanic who's first language is Spanish. This friend can program natively in 20+ languages and is a very high level applications developer. Well, because of talents he learned Spanish in three months. It's just the way he's designed... his brain is logical with syntax, semantics, pragmatics, characters, etc.

Yeah that's quite agreeable. But Lee has put in his work, that's for sure. I'm guessing there are actually over 20,000 posts in these last 5 years that OP here had mentioned, between Augi-theSwamp-CADtutor-AutoCAD forums, and he probably posts in more.... So if there's 20,000 posts in a span of 1825 days (5 years), averages to be almost 11 posts every single day. Consistency trumps potential but every now and then in sports, politics, and even here in programming....there's a gem who is/has both. I think that's what we're dealing with here, and is also why I asked about the future. Guess that's at least 6 more years of wonderfully upgraded autocad experiences for us and everyone else who's had the pleasure of working with a Lee Mac program ! :)

Lee,

Thanks for all that you do. You have helped me a ton.

When you come to Autodesk University, I will buy you some beers.

Cheers Greg!

One day I'll make it to AU and finally meet you all :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43893[/ATTACH]

:lol:

I admired Lee ever since I saw his code for being short and efficient. I know you all do. If wasn't for his lack of selfishness his knowledge about lisp is worthless with us all.

CAB, ASMI, Remark, Alan, David, Gile, Tharwat, Fixo, Seven to name a few all deserve a kudos!!!

Generosity is what sets this guys from others. When someone learn a few tricks of their own on this and other forums, they take off without helping the lisp community back.

I admired Lee ever since I saw his code for being short and efficient. I know you all do. If wasn't for his lack of selfishness his knowledge about lisp is worthless with us all.

CAB, ASMI, Remark, Alan, David, Gile, Tharwat, Fixo, Seven to name a few all deserve a kudos!!!

Generosity is what sets this guys from others. When someone learn a few tricks of their own on this and other forums, they take off without helping the lisp community back.

Speaking of... CAB hasn't been around here lately. Seems he's only active at the Swamp. ReMark gets the biggest kudos for sure as he dedicates so much time to help other and explain general AutoCAD topics and issues. If anybody should own the title "Mr. CADTutor" as David's right-hand man, it's surely ReMark. Alanjt is one I miss seeing around too - his personality and wit is uncanny and always made me giggle with his humor.