Making leaf-like city layout plan

Mir Ali

Hi everyone !

I am designing a city with leaf-like layout. I've across a problem in the very beginning which is that i can't seem to understand the geometry involved in here. Let's i want to make a leaf shaped town such that it can have any desired area e.g. 800 acre with the same dimension like the leaf that added below. While experimenting with arc tool I've so far been able to do it but i would like to know the exact ways to do it. (pardon my English)

Green-Leaf-Texture-by-SpiralGraphic-on-deviantART.jpg

Leaf.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Mir Ali

• eldon

• neophoible

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Leaf_1.JPG

The rough outline of the leaf can be generated by tracing over an edge using a polyline then miroring that polyline to the other side. The leaf is rather small though. You would have to scale it up considerably to approximate an area of 800 acres.

Edited by ReMark

If you keep it fairly simple, as in your OP, then the formula for the area of a segment is all you need (and double it for the two segments). Consider the formulae and approach offered in this link: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/geometry/GP16/CircleSectors.htm. If you want to duplicate the actual shape of the leaf, then that will be a bit more complicated. It is quite easy to get the area of a polyline. You did not indicate how experienced you are with AutoCAD. If you are designing a city, I would hope you are very experienced. Or is this perhaps a school project?

Mir Ali: So, have you made any progress?

so kind of you. Pardon me i may sound like real nuisance to you as i am really inexperienced with drafting . I've traced the picture and it gives me a nice layout. There are a few more things that i would like to know:

1. Lets the traced figure has an area of 2000 sq.ft. How do i scale it get any desired area? I can do the units conversions:)

2. How do i create the shape with arc tool by making four arcs?

3. I am working in model space, hopefully i am going to print it on some scale. Do i have to work in viewports or should i carry on the work in model space and get it plotted. This is my first project that i am going to get plotted so i am unfamiliar with the paper sizes that i may get hands on.

It's my university project and yeah the town size is quite small. But given the time and scope of the course i may design the project in around 800 acre to 1500 acre.

Have you tried to insert the leaf picture into a drawing, and then trace over it?

I guess that is what i have to go with.

If you keep it fairly simple, as in your OP, then the formula for the area of a segment is all you need (and double it for the two segments). Consider the formulae and approach offered in this link: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/geometry/GP16/CircleSectors.htm. If you want to duplicate the actual shape of the leaf, then that will be a bit more complicated. It is quite easy to get the area of a polyline. You did not indicate how experienced you are with AutoCAD. If you are designing a city, I would hope you are very experienced. Or is this perhaps a school project?

Thanks but i am going to getting in technicalities though thank you. I have very little experience with AutoCAD probably used it a couple of times. I am studying city and regional planning and the course in which i've been given this practical is "Planning of new town"

You can use the SCALE command to increase/decrease the size of an object.

I used the ARC command and roughly followed the outline I traced using the polyline command. It's a "trial and error" approach but no one is going to be checking you on how well you approximated the shape of a leaf.

Draw all your geometry in model space at FULL size. Only when you are satisfied with the results and want to start adding text and/or dimensions do you have to give any real thought as to what goes where. They can go in either model space or in your layout. Each has its own pluses and minuses.

Using a layout means you'll be using one or more viewports. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to. I can provide you with a link with more information about viewports if you wish.

Mir Ali: Making any progress?

I've traced with the image and it has an area of 45 sq.ft. Lets i want to take it to 1500 acres (65,340,000sq.ft), so i tried this 45x= 65,340,000sq.ft gives me 1452000 and i tried scaling to this number but no use. I maybe able to get to the desired area but i want to learn how the scaling works in AutoCAD.

I am working on 1 to 1 annotative scale. Thanks !

You scaled your leaf using that number (1452000) but you did not get the result you were looking for?

Annotative scaling is going to affect how your linetypes look in your layout and is normally applied to your text, dimensions, hatches, blocks, and multileaders.

You scaled your leaf using that number (1452000) but you did not get the result you were looking for?

Annotative scaling is going to affect how your linetypes look in your layout and is normally applied to your text, dimensions, hatches, blocks, and multileaders.

Yes i scaled with 1452000 but it won't work. I tried putting ' and ".

Should i go on working in model space or do have to make sure of some other certain things. Like i want to finish my work ASAP then move on the plotting part. Thank you sir !

I don't see why it shouldn't work but your use of the word "and" has me wondering just how you are going about scaling your object.

You continue to work in model space until you are satisfied you have everything completed. Given that you appear to want to use annotative scaling the only things that go in your layout would be a viewport along with your title block and border along with any title block text.

I don't see why it shouldn't work but your use of the word "and" has me wondering just how you are going about scaling your object.

You continue to work in model space until you are satisfied you have everything completed. Given that you appear to want to use annotative scaling the only things that go in your layout would be a viewport along with your title block and border along with any title block text.

Maybe you want to see this...

1.JPG

2.JPG