Lag in some acad files

byk3bep

I'm having a weird problem.

In some files (sent buy others via email) i'm having huge lags while out of command, cant position cursor where i want or pan-zoom. This problem goes away when i activate a command or start the selection process. I should say that the comp where it was created doesn't have this issue.

I tried purging all items but it doesn't seem to help at all.

This is a big problem for me and would be much grateful for any help.

Thx all :)

Did you use the command line version of Purge? Yes/No/Want is that?

Did you Audit the drawing? Yes/No/What is Audit?

What are the specs of the computer the drawing was created on?

What are the specs of the computer you are using?

What is running in the background on your computer?

Are both computers networked or is one of them a standalone system?

cmd line:purge => the the window opened, i purged all items...

have no idea what is audit :?

I do not know the exact specs of the comps, but I don't think that is the issue since I have worked on much larger and complex .dwg-s with no problem at all, and still can. The problem must be within the .dwg file.

I have somewhat figured it out. Just buy scaling down the drawing buy a factor of 0.1 the delay almost disappeared. Got to thinking it could be because of the area is "too big", the coordinates of points on the oposite sides of the rectangle in witch the drawing is placed are x1:60,000.00 y1:80,000.00 and x2>-60,000.00 y2:-100,000.00 units.

It is obvious you do not know about the command line version of the Purge command as it is preceded by a dash like this: -purge. One purges Regapps first, repeats the command then does a Purge > All.

An Audit corrects errors found in the drawing's database. These two commands, used together, can fix a multitude of problems. Keep that in mind for future reference.

So, in other words, your objects may be located a great distance from 0,0,0 is that what you think the problem is?

You are referring to these x1:60,000.00 y1:80,000.00 as being coordinates?

Yes, the x1,x2,y1,y2 are coordinate values.

Did everything you guys told me to, -purge (all), purge, scalelistedit (reset), btw it was overcrowded as you predicted, but to no effect.

Then...

I scaled the whole dwg buy a factor of 0.01, and positioned it to x;y=0;0 coordinates. That "fixed" the problem. Don't like these kind of solutions and would appreciate an explanation for this weird behavior, if there is one.

Much thx :)

Without actually doing an analysis on the file, the answer to your question is the solution. On the other hand, you may not have fixed it at all and only made the problem small enough to be unnoticeable.

In my opinion this x1:60,000.00 y1:80,000.00 is not a coordinate.Now this x=60,000,y=80,000 would be a coordinate. See the difference?

I think it is a bad idea to rescale a drawing unless it is a schematic and scale has no bearing on the output.

The weird behavior? Did AutoCAD somehow force you to locate your objects like you did?

Yes I see the difference. Sry about the coordinate format :unsure:

As I told you, it was not a file created buy me, or on my comp, so it was not placed buy me on those ridiculous coordinates. However I have to deal with those kind of problems when they arise, so I was wondering if there was someone who faced a similar problem, and that could help me resolve it without scaling down the dwg file, and explain why is this happening. (Why is working on coordinates such as 111000.00,111000.00 a problem for acad?)

How do you know that is a problem? If you think about it, using numbers like that needs a lot of calculating. Break it down and keep in mind that the computer is thinking in 1's and 0's. You have a line 1" long at 0,0 and move it 1" in the Y direction, quick and easy. Now start with that line at 111000.00, 111000.00 and move it 1". Do the math in base 1. That is a lot of 1's and 0's to process.