AutoCAD DWG-2-PDF print driver vs. BlueBeam print driver

randomBullets

Ok, I need to know if there is a way to create bookmarks in the PDF file using the AutoCAD PDF driver. Our company uses BlueBeam which by the way is a very awesome powerful tool. The file size output on a 300dpi or even a 150dpi pdf is ridiculous. Compared to the AutoCAD driver the file is basically a quarter of the size and NO quality loss at all. The problem is Bluebeam has this handy little thing that "automagically" creates "pdf bookmarks"

There has to be a way to create bookmarks "automagically" with the native AutoCAD PDF driver. Or am I just out of luck here?

Thanks for your help

clarification;

1.) bookmarking each page, using the layout tab name.

2.) BlueBeam is an excellent program as a PDF editor/markup tool

obviously I personally don't care for the print driver plugin for autoCad but I need those bookmarks in the PDF file.

Thank you.

As to the dwg to pdf plotter in AutoCAD, I don't see that option.

It sounds like you want the smaller file size that you get with AutoCAD and have bookmarks. You might be able to create individual PDFs from AutoCAD using the Layout tab name to name the PDFs. (I do not know if this can be done automatically.) Then you might be able to combine them in BlueBeam with bookmarks.

I'll see what kind of file size that creates, thanks. That's why we ask questions sometimes we don't always see the obvious answer when it's staring right at us...Thank you again.

As to the dwg to pdf plotter in AutoCAD, I don't see that option.

It sounds like you want the smaller file size that you get with AutoCAD and have bookmarks. You might be able to create individual PDFs from AutoCAD using the Layout tab name to name the PDFs. (I do not know if this can be done automatically.) Then you might be able to combine them in BlueBeam with bookmarks.

If you use sheet set manager, you can combine several layouts into one file.

once you have created the PDF file, you can "optimize" it to reduce the file size, and add the bookmarks as needed.

To answer the question asked about sheet set. We do not use them. Mostly because I don't understand the advantage in them, to do in what we are doing here.

I just use batch plot.

I tested batch plotting to single pages, then combining them in BlueBeam, which seems to keep the file size down but I'm still loosing quality, but it's minor.

At this time I think I'll contact BlueBeam to see what can be done with their plugin. Thanks to all that have responded and if anyone has more suggestions let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen BlueBeam, so if you have any version of Adobe Acrobat Pro on your computer,

select all those pdfs,

right click, select Combine supported files in Acrobat- a sneaky small new window opens (invisible to task bar)- minimize all other apps individually to see it

arrange the pdfs with the new Combine window's up & down arrows

click the Combine Files button

let 'er rip

Binder1 will be the combined pdf. save**

Look at the blue ribbon (bookmark icon) on the far left when Binder1 is open

all your original file names are there for you

**I make a single pdf ("binder") for each discipline (like "1S" for vol1's Structural pdfs), then combine all those mini-binders 1G, 1A, 1S, 1P, 1M, 1E into the complete vol1 binder** ...the bookmarks will cascade.

• 7 years later...

Im new to this forum not to the industry - and am having similar issues with Bluebeam driver/plot style within Civil 3D 2021. Previously with 2019 using dwg to pdf there were no issues, but causes wipeouts to plot black in 2021. The bluebeam-pdf.pc3 resolves that issue but now when I zoom in real tight I see that the linework is pixel-ed (raster) as opposed to vector. Anyone know how to resolve this? Now that more municipalities are doing online submittals I need my drawings as crisp as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Skip Bluebeam.  The dwg to pdf pc3 in 2021 is pretty good.   I don't know why you are getting a raster or black wipeouts, but as far as the bookmarks, it's right here, click the Publish Options button after selecting box 1 and 2 on the Batch Plot dialog.  Check all the boxes shown.  Without the right pdf boxes checked it won't show the data section of the Publish Options dialog box.  You can check the Include layer info if you like but it bloats your pdf file. The res quality is up to you.

The lines above PUBLISH OPTIONS have not updated because I have not clicked OK and this is the first time I have used AutoCad on this machine, my new hotrod.

Oh, and Lines Overwrite leaves gaps where lighter is over darker so I use Lines Merge instead.  Just thought I'd mention that.  I fixed it after saving the png.

pub.png

Edited by Dana W