Dimension Issue

PL Liew

Hi, as we all know. when we are doing dimension.

the center of the cross (cursor) suppose to have a small square and this small square will have us to point the edge of the object .

see the picture below

so that we can do the dimensioning much more easy and accurately.

but i don't know why mine small little square disappear.

can someone help ?

APERTURE setting to a larger number, type that at the command line or go to Options, Drafting tab.

Hi,

but i need it when i am doing dimensioning (linear) if not the dimension of my drawing is not accurate.

besides, my dimension , the decimal point should be decimal point but it keep on apeear as comma. and i have to keep on pre set it.:?

can anyone help !!!!>??

How much training/experience do you have?

Are you starting from your own custom template?

Can you attach the dwg here?

err, i just started the AutoCAD training on this Monday.

Monday - Wednesday. and had test on friday.

the 1st problem i encounter is after i drew the dimension line, it never appear as decimal point (see the picture below)

111.PNG

it is very annoying because i have to keep on set it to decimal.

Capture.jpg

Hi,

but i need it when i am doing dimensioning (linear) if not the dimension of my drawing is not accurate.

besides, my dimension , the decimal point should be decimal point but it keep on apeear as comma. and i have to keep on pre set it.:?

can anyone help !!!!>??

You will want to use Osnaps when placing dimensions, there are several ways to do that. Look at the bottom of the screen to toggle them on, right click over that icon to set the ones you want active.

Also you can start the dim command, hold shift and hit the right mouse button, pick the one you want and continue from there.

Actually, the small box normally displayed at the center of the crosshairs is the PICKBOX, and it's supposed to disappear when AutoCAD prompts for a pick point. It's the Aperture that controls how close the center of the crosshairs must be to an object/snap point to select it. If you want to see Aperture during selection, you can turn on it's visibility in Tools > Options > Drafting, however whether it's visible or not has no affect on point acquisition. So enough with the terminology lesson, it sounds to me like the real problem is that OSNAPS are turned off. so make sure the OSNAP toggle is turned on in the status bar, and that you have the proper Osnaps "running"

Demo.

the 2nd problem i encounter is regarding dimensioning.

as we all know when we dimension the object we draw, the cursor suppose to have a small square on the center of the cursor. but mine don't have.

pls see the picture below.

12333.PNG

and the cursor help us to point the edge of the object easily so we can draw the dimension easily and accurately.

as a result, the dimension of the object i drew is not accurate.

let's say i drew a rectangle ( 20 * 10)

but the length appear as 20.15 because the cursor doesn't have the small square.

please see the picture below.

ewewewe.jpg

So, did you find the OSNAP toggle and turn it on?

yup.

btw, you know how to set the status bar to let it all appear as pictures instear of words ?

fdfdfd.PNG

erere.PNG

ewewewe.jpg

yup.

btw, you know how to set the status bar to let it all appear as pictures instear of words ?

Right click on any of the status bar buttons and check "Use Icons" from the popup menu.

Welcome to the forum PL Liew, when posting please do not use a title with word URGENT!! It does not help people when they use the forum to search for answers and our member are very quick at answering;)

Welcome to CADTutor. :) In order to replace the default COMMA with a DECIMAL POINT in your current dimension style, look at the attached image. In the Dimension Style Manager, on the Primary Units tab, you will find it described as the Decimal Separator, set it and then click OK at the bottom of the dialog box. Once you have done that, the decimal point will be the default when creating a new dimension. My guess is that the dimension which you described as being wrong (assuming your osnaps were turned on when you created it) is correct, but that the rectangle which you drew is not the size you intended it to be. :|

decimal separator in dimstyle.JPG

Welcome to CADTutor. :) In order to replace the default COMMA with a DECIMAL POINT in your current dimension style, look at the attached image. In the Dimension Style Manager, on the Primary Units tab, you will find it described as the Decimal Separator, set it and then click OK at the bottom of the dialog box. Once you have done that, the decimal point will be the default when creating a new dimension. My guess is that the dimension which you described as being wrong (assuming your osnaps were turned on when you created it) is correct, but that the rectangle which you drew is not the size you intended it to be. :|
Snaps could be on but the dimension appears to be off the right end of the rectangle a tad. Depending on the units used, a tad = 0.15.;) One can miss the snap point a good bit, if one is unfamiliar with what happens when a snap snaps.

You can also manually select the snap option you want with Shift+Right-Click when prompted.

You can also, right-click the icon in the status bar and select settings to assign desired Osnaps (or type Osnap on the commandline).

Once you have Osnaps turned on, simply select the dimension and move the right hand node/grip to the point you wish it to be.

You might also want to turn on your Auto Snap Magnet, as shown in the image from the OPTIONS dialog, on the DRAFTING tab. :)

turn on your autosnap magnet.JPG