robbt

Hope this is the correct furum.

Running ADT2006. Is there a method a creating custom tooltips. Simular to osnap, when cursor hovers over a object and "endpoint" "midpoint" etc. shows up, I would like to have it show the objects Layer. Rather then selecting the object, I would like to hover over the object to detects its layer, before selecting, to select "object on destination layer". This can be inserted into my lisp routine or as a separate routine or part of a cui programing.

I was about to make a mistake so I erased it. I misinterpreted what you intended to do. However I will mention that forum member Lee Mac has a website full of magical lisp routines free for downloading as long as you wouldn't mind passing on the credit of the original author. Search on his page at this link Lee Mac's Free Stuff. While you are there, click the Home link and take a look around his website. It is an eye opener. I did not search around for any particular routine, but one that simply runs a list box off of a selection preview of an object, and then closes the list box when you move the cursor off the object might work for you. I can't hint at how to do it even though I have been a programmer since 1982. I have never written one single line of code that will run on a PC, Lisp, VB, or otherwise, only mainframe business applications for dinosaur computers.

Also, I am not sure which year it was added, but vanilla AutoCAD has had this very sort of rollover tooltip since at least the 2007 release. It is turned on via a series of check boxes on the Options dialog, on the display tab. I think you need the Selection Preview highlighting turned on (selection Tab) for it to work, but I could be wrong. Might ADT2006 have this too? I don't know, having never seen that program working.

Edited by Dana W

Nice site thanks. Could not find anything like that in ADT 2006 in the Options, Display or Selection. Maybe 07 or newer. Hoping for another option or script or something.

Nice site thanks. Could not find anything like that in ADT 2006 in the Options, Display or Selection. Maybe 07 or newer. Hoping for another option or script or something.
Yeah, That's probably stuff that was added in 2007. They put a boatload of new stuff in then. Hopefully a Lisp expert will come and help out. My response was only a shot in the dark anyway.