AutoCAD freezes up when Regenerating the MODEL

jdavid10

Hello Everyone.

I'm drawing polylines within a chart of elevation contour lines of a mountainous region in my country.

This is for the design of the drainage hydraulics of highways.

The Contour Chart which is in jpg format, I have saved it in photoshop in medium size to help make my autocad drawing the less heavier in size.

In fact, my AutoCAD dwg file is only 69 KB big. I have however georeferenced my Chart by UTM coordinates, so it is a little bit big in the drawing.

My drawing is in milimetres and the chart size is: 3861 x 2848.

Here is the layout view of my drawing:

Regen problem.jpg

What is making my AutoCAD crash all the time when I regenerate the model?

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

I try to save my drawing all the time though, and whenever my AutoCAD crashes I have to close it up, then I have to open AutoCAD and the drawing again; but this is a bit tedious.

make a copy of your dwg , remove the jpg from the copy, then regen....does it crash?

try multiple purges and audits to clean up the dwg.

have you tried working on another computer?

my acad used to crash all the time (only autocad).....in my case it turns out a memory card was playing up, but you need to narrow the problem down to hardware, software or file

in my experience, autocad can be awkward with some pics.

As long as you are using Civil3D take advance of the mapping tools there. Try using data connect to bring in the image or mapiinsert command (yes 2 I's). May also want to look at the image cache settings by using the Mapoptions command and reset the cache and temp folder used for images inserted.

As long as you are using Civil3D take advance of the mapping tools there. Try using data connect to bring in the image or mapiinsert command (yes 2 I's). May also want to look at the image cache settings by using the Mapoptions command and reset the cache and temp folder used for images inserted.

That was similar to what I had intended to ask. Why are you doing this in AutoCAD when you have Civil3D?

What are your computer, OS and graphics card specs?

• 2 weeks later...
That was similar to what I had intended to ask. Why are you doing this in AutoCAD when you have Civil3D?

What are your computer, OS and graphics card specs?

I'm not so good in Civil3D. My company bought it for me though because it was a good offer and there wasn't such a high difference in price in between buying AutoCAD alone or buying AutoCAD plus Civil3D.

I've been trying to learn Civil3D with a book called "Introducing AutoCAD Civil3D" by the authors: James Wedding and Dana Probert. However, I only started studying that book a few months ago and I had to stop doing the excercises because of other duties I have presently.

So, since I'm going to the local University I just don't have time currently to learn Civil3D.

My computer is a "Dell Precision PWS690 Intel® Xeon® CPU 5130 @2.00GHz"

Don't know my graphics card specs.

I have "Windows XP 2002 Professional, Service Pack 3" I didn't upgrade my windows because some specialized Coastal and Civil Engineering softwares I use are not compatible with other more advanced windows versions.

For now, I only use AutoCAD which I learned very well back in 2002.