Inserting a title block in a 3D drawing

Mike G

Hello,

I'm having trouble inserting my title block in a 3D drawing.

I'm kind of new to 3D modelling but it's probably a small mistake i'm making.

I started with my view in SE Isometric, drawed something and then I copy/pasted my title block from another drawing, all in modelspace.

My drawing is 3D and my title block is 2D but in the wrong position.

How do I solve this?

Greetings,

Mike

qokAs2i.jpg

You can solve your problem by utilizing a layout with at least one viewport.

Your title block and border will go in the layout at a 1:1 scale.

You create a viewport which allows you to see the objects that are back in model space. Think of a viewport as you would a window in your home. It is the viewport that a scale is applied to.

Layouts may also be referred to as paper space layouts. There is a tutorial here at CADTutor that will take you through an exercise involving paper space. Find it here...

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/paper-space-exercise.php

I agree with ReMark. Once you activate a Viewport, you have full navigation abilities so you can zoom, pan, and 3D orbit around to get the desired orientation of the 3D object. This does not effect your Titleblock in Paperspace at all.

I think i'm getting the hang of it.

So what i'm thinking is that all the static stuff (like the border, title block) goes in the paperspace, and the model itself goes in modelspace.

So it would look something like this?

Uof70B2.jpg

Also, it is possible to widen the sheet offset (the dashed square) in the paperspace? Or is this decided by the printer driver?

I think i'm getting the hang of it.

So what i'm thinking is that all the static stuff (like the border, title block) goes in the paperspace, and the model itself goes in modelspace.

So it would look something like this?

Uof70B2.jpg

Also, it is possible to widen the sheet offset (the dashed square) in the paperspace? Or is this decided by the printer driver?

You'll need to look at the custom settings of your printer/plotter on the page layout dialog box. Some printer drivers, and some predefined sheet formats do allow spreading the printable area out a little bit. They like to default the margin to 1/2" (3 cm) +-. On most sheets, there is more room to be had. The process is a little tedious, and I don't want to make a mistake in explaining it. Maybe somebody else will remember exactly how to do it.

What sheet size/output format are you using? For instance, when I plot to dwg to pdf.pc3 using the ARCH D 36" x 24" sheet, I can expand the printable area until there is a little more than 1cm outside the dotted line. Since you are plotting a 3D image, scale is probably not an issue. You can plot Extents, or Window, center the plot, fit to page, and the whole borderline will be inside the printable area.

Any object that falls on or outside of the dashed line, which AutoCAD considers to be the limits of the printable area, will NOT be plotted. There are some sheet sizes that allow for greater latitude (may be defined as "extended" or "oversized") if you find yourself cramped for space. Your other options are to use a smaller scale or a larger sheet size.