Newbie with questions

RKBAGUY

Howdy, folks!

New member here, just getting my feet wet with Inventor. I'm not a 'pro', but dabbled years ago with an early version of Rhino (v.2, if memory serves) along with a desktop vertical mill (MaxNC) I had at the time. I'm kind of stuck on something at the moment, and need a couple pointers if you'd be so kind

Right now, I'm working on a project of my own design which is being modeled directly in InventorPro (I have Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013), but I'm also using a MakerBot for the purposes of importing and adapting .STL files to test other design concepts and experiment with alternate possibilities. I'd like to manipulate those other files in various ways, such as changing their dimensions to 'stretch' them in any given axis, smoothing out features to reduce the level of detail, or in the case of one file, I'd like to bore a hole through it using the hole function. However I get an error saying: "Unable to create hole. The selected model has no volume."

I've been trying to figure out how to apply a repair procedure to .STL files I've downloaded thinking that perhaps there's an error in the base model, but I can't seem to locate that feature anywhere. It's possible that Inventor isn't the right program for this sort of thing, and if you can recommend another tool, please feel free to do so.

So, for now, those are the couple things I'm stuck on. Hope somebody can assist.

Thanks in advance!

Are you trying to create the hole using the Hole Wizard or are you drawing a sketch and using a cut extrude?

If the part is modelled in inventor, It sounds like the model has been created using the surfacing tools and has no thickness (or in this case, volume)

If this is the case you will need to convert it to a solid.

It's been a few years since I last used inventor.

Stl files are coarsely - planar faceted surface models.

Inventor is a NURBS surface/solid modeler.

The usual technique is to create a NURBS model and then export to stl.

Inventor is not the best tool for trying to edit an stl file.

There was an add-in for 2013 and I think more in 2014 but I have not experimented with them.

If you zip and attach a sample stl file here I can experiment in 2013 and 2014 and give you an idea of how much work would be required.

Stl files are coarsely - planar faceted surface models.

Inventor is a NURBS surface/solid modeler.

The usual technique is to create a NURBS model and then export to stl.

Inventor is not the best tool for trying to edit an stl file.

There was an add-in for 2013 and I think more in 2014 but I have not experimented with them.

If you zip and attach a sample stl file here I can experiment in 2013 and 2014 and give you an idea of how much work would be required.

I've tried the 'Mesh Enabler' (which is what I think you had in mind) but when attempting to apply the 'Convert to base feature' function, the window goes black, it seems Inventor hangs, and I get the 'waiting' cursor spinning. I thought it might be worth giving that plug-in app a shot, but what worries me now is that not only does it not work with the model in question, but it's not listed in my Exchange Apps manifest, making me concerned that I've now mucked up my Inventor install.

That said, the model is downloadable here, but this is just one of many that I'll be needing to work with:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29349/#files

Grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks in advance!

Predator, huh? Are you trying to make the "shoulder thing that goes up?" :lol:

Heh... got one of my own, but mine is just a tad larger, and has optical sighting... you did see my forum ID, yes? :-)

Well, I'll be dipped. Seems the Mesh Enabler works, I just didn't give it long enough to process. Got a call while trying it again, went back to it about a half hour later, and there it was.

OK, so I'm good to go on this function for now, but the question of whether or not it stalled correctly is still a matter of concern. And, of course, what to do come the expiration of the add-in is still in the table.

Thanks to everyone who helped.