CTAB Field editing

stenna

Evening All :D

I have a scenario where I want to use some thing like the system variable CTAB in a field but have it report another Layout Name in the drawing rather than the Layout that I'm working in. Let me explain.....

I'm producing phasing drawings for a well known supermarket and I use the Layout Tab name to drive the phasing dates within the Layout. ie P1 - Thu 23 Oct. I then use this to populate the title block etc with the system variable CTAB this saves me a whole load of time as I know the dates on the Layout tab name are correct and will therefore be right in the drawings (upwards of 25 drawings per project).

I've just had a request to add some more information into the drawings but this has the date for the next phase ie P2 - Fri 24 Oct, I cant use the CTAB variable as it will report the wrong date :cry: ; Is there a way I can report another Layout Tab name with a system variable or through Diesel?

Hope that makes sense! :unsure:

Stenna

AFAIK there is no way to read another tab as CTAB stands for current tab, you could possibly look at using environmental variables or creating list of the phase dates in model space and either linking to them with fields or even using viewports within your title block to 'look' at those values.

Morning

Thanks for the replies :D I'm not saying I want to use CTAB specifically I was wondering if there is a command, system variable or some diesel that would allow me to report another Layout Tabs entry

Stenna

Morning

Thanks for the replies :D I'm not saying I want to use CTAB specifically I was wondering if there is a command, system variable or some diesel that would allow me to report another Layout Tabs entry

Stenna

Unfortunately that is the only variable, relating to tabs and is not available outside the current tab, thats why I suggested maybe using a different approach. Unless some clever soul knows a way using LISP

Yeah, LISP or .NET or any of the equivalent programming languages would be needed I assume. One of the guru's might post something, or maybe try posting in the LISP forum here to see if someone's already created a program that has what you need.

:)

I'll back Steven up on that one. CTAB = Current Tab and is read only.

CTAB isn't read only. I'm just telling you in case you ever want to use it, not to one up you or anything. :) The OP can probably make an xref or something to make this work. I don't like using them but I don't know how else you'd link two drawings together.

I've been using CTAB since AutoCAD 2007.... I always thought it was a read only variable? Since it simply "displays" the Current Tab name? And I know you're not trying to one up me. All good brutha!

:)

[ATTACH]44129[/ATTACH] Check that out. It was posted by Tyke in another thread but it's fairly handy for the every day AutoCAD user. It displays the current layout tab that your using and you can change which layout your on by typing in the layout name.

[ATTACH]44129[/ATTACH] Check that out. It was posted by Tyke in another thread but it's fairly handy for the every day AutoCAD user. It displays the current layout tab that your using and you can change which layout your on by typing in the layout name.
Good find Tuns. Thanks for the clarification. :)

• 8 years later...