Bending a 2D object

iainlines

Hi all,

Is there any way I can bend a 2D object? I have a drawing of a hydraulic hose running straight in the x axis. What I want to do is to be able is to bend the hose around 90 degress (to fit in a case) without altering the overall length & width. Poor explanation but hopefully someone will be able to give me an answer

I have attached a simple drawing that should explain the problem. I know the lengths don't match, this is purely for illustration

Thanks

Hose.dwg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iainlines

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a job more suited for Inventor (i.e. - Tube and Pipe package of Inventor Professional).

Do you know what the minimum bend radius is for the hydraulic hose you have selected?

I should probably clarify.....I'm not actually drawing the hose itself, just the packaging (cnc machined foam) that it will go in. I would like to get it around 100mm radius. I have files of the shapes layed flat but I need to get them within the confines of the packaging ideally without a lot of re drawing as time is against me

Cheers for the quick reply, as ever

Hi all,

Is there any way I can bend a 2D object? I have a drawing of a hydraulic hose running straight in the x axis. What I want to do is to be able is to bend the hose around 90 degress (to fit in a case) without altering the overall length & width. Poor explanation but hopefully someone will be able to give me an answer

I have attached a simple drawing that should explain the problem. I know the lengths don't match, this is purely for illustration

Thanks

ReMark is correct, Inventor could do it easily, but you can fake it, if all you need is a graphic representation in Autocad.

bending a 2D hose.JPG

Thanks Dadgad, but I don't think I'm being very clear. The lengths DO need to match....they just didn't in the quick sketch I knocked up. I want to take a rectangle and bend it without altering the length or width. Possible?

Thanks Dadgad, but I don't think I'm being very clear. The lengths DO need to match....they just didn't in the quick sketch I knocked up. I want to take a ractangle and bend it without altering the length of width. Possible?

I scaled and offset from the centerline of your sample hose, so that the length of the centerline of the new hose, and the OD are the same as the straight sample. Perhaps you want to use parametric constraints to constrain the bent x or y lengths too?

Bah! Didn't think so. Oh well

These are hoses for a helicopter. The are placed within the foam then a Pelican case for transport and storage. Customer requirements

According to my customer, yes. Hoses and various valves

To be fair they are not in the least delicate but this is a job that has been done before by competitors of ours and the customer insists this is the design they want. The screenshot shows an old design...all I have is hardware and a tape measure. Tricky and time consuming

It's reusable packaging and they don't want the spec changing, so nope. We have some products made with a pourable foam that I dare say is similar to what you are suggesting but that is purely for one way journey packaging

Just determine the Arc length of your radius and that's the centerline length, any other allowances would be determined by the properties of the hose for compressing and stretching while bent. For most things the centerline usually works out close enough.

2π100(180/360) = 1256.637 (using your 100mm Radius suggestion)

Equation-1.jpg

where:

C is the central angle of the arc in degrees

R is the radius of the arc

π is Pi, approximately 3.142

P.S.

I agree with using something more along the lines of Inventor or Solidworks, there are some third party apps for AutoCAD as well. I did have a trial version for something I think called 3DPipe, but never used it and I removed it last week.

ReMark- I've had a dabble (the most basics) with Inventor but 99.9% of my work even Autocad does more than I need. I like to learn to use it just for my own personal knowledge one day. We'll see

SLW210, thanks

Tha would be nice. I have very little experience in either (dynamic blocks at least). As the vast majority of my work is bespoke I barely ever even use blocks! Don't worry, I do know how to, there's just rarely a need

My computer that has Autocad on it is down (lost the operating system) but from the looks of the drawing in post #7 i think that it could be done by using the spline command and only redrawing the bends. Not sure because i can't try it now.

Thought it might give you and idea though.

NOTE: Posted this before i read page 2

Edited by welldriller
Got ahead of myself again