Auxiliary Views

Bill W

Have you considered looking into some Free or "Low Cost" CAD software?

Free CAD programs for the non-student.

Low cost CAD programs.

Thanks, but I would prefer to stay in the professional environment, if only on the sidelines. There are opportunities for retirees to perform CAD work on volunteer basis. For example I did a lot of work for Washington State Park commission converting old paper drawings to CAD.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill W

• ReMark

• SLW210

• welldriller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The programs listed are all used by people who work on a low budget and do work by the side. However, some use this as their mainstay program so these programs aren't less professional. I can understand why on first glance you may think that because these aren't AutoCAD or another large software package it's less professional, but in reality a program like Draftsight can perform every bit as well as AutoCAD LT and the AutoCAD guy wouldn't notice a think when looking through the file.

Steven, the dwg file is only 434 kb; I still can't get it to upload. Is there a way I could send it directly to an email, or is that verboten?

I have looked at websites that have tables for some angles. Have to admit, however, that this has become a challenge to learn the method of doing the calculations, and now to re-learn auxiliary views on ACad. I don't do things the easy way. Will look at your attachment after breakfast.

ReMark, no, there is no usual number of staves. The only variables are no. of staves and cone angle. The flower pot in the photo is 8 staves and cone angle of 20 degrees. My friend in Argentina makes bowls with 16 or more staves.

Potguy, the files I try to upload are small. Photo attachments work fine.

I've had many problems uploading files to the forum using IE 10. It just sits there and spins the little blue thingy. Install Google Chrome if you have not already. It works. I've done back to back upload attempts using both IE and Chrome, Chrome finishes, IE does not.

You are using the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the posting window are you not? The advanced postimg window works so much better than the quick reply.

Bill: I think you just insulted a whole bunch of people who use low or no cost programs to create CAD drawings.

WHAT? I've been a member a week and already in trouble?

I meant no offense, and do use many no or low cost programs. Thanks to everyone who suggested more. Did not mean they were not professional. But here is my situation: I am retired and want to remain involved in design/construction. I have done that by volunteering to help state agencies update their cad drawings; they use AutoCAD, so I have to conform.

I should have said: "I really need to maintain my ACad skills so I can continue my volunteer work and get out of the house before I drive my wife crazy (or vise versa)."

WHAT? I've been a member a week and already in trouble?

I meant no offense, and do use many no or low cost programs. Thanks to everyone who suggested more. Did not mean they were not professional. But here is my situation: I am retired and want to remain involved in design/construction. I have done that by volunteering to help state agencies update their cad drawings; they use AutoCAD, so I have to conform.

I should have said: "I really need to maintain my ACad skills so I can continue my volunteer work and get out of the house before I drive my wife crazy (or vise versa)."

Bill, ReMark and others are good people, and you'll learn their personalities in time as you become more familiar around here. You most certainly are not in trouble and ReMark (as do others) sometimes use informal chit-chat type responses. I knew right away that ReMark's comment was purely in jest. :)

I knew exactly what you meant when you replied stating you want to stick with the professional programs. The free and low cost ones are certainly good, but in your case you want to remain up to par with the same application other's use when you contract or volunteer. Nobody should be upset at that.

Stick around, and ask questions and contribute at your leisure. We're all more than happy to offer our experiences and advice's. :)

As long as the substitute program will read and write to the DWG file format that is being shared you would not be doing any harm to anyone's system by sharing your drawing with them or they with you. File format standards are written to expressly avoid problems not introduce them.

• 3 weeks later...

[QUOTE=steven-g;557574]There are probably a number of methods (LT), but could you post a file or images of the sort of thing you are hoping to achieve it would make answering so much easier.

Steve-g is correct -- if can post what he has asked for you will get a lot more useful information and help.

Thanks Welldriller.

I could not post the files, but sent them to Steve G who kindly posted them for me. They are posted a few messages back.

Since then I have pretty much resolved the issue.

Still do not know why I can't post files, but can not do so on other sites either.

http://pdgood.us/drumshed/staves.html#figuring

You may get some information from the above sight that would be useful, I know that you are building a barrel but it may give you some ideas

NOTE: go to the top of page

click on : figuring the stave angles (on the left side of the page)

Edited by welldriller
more information

Wow, thanks Welldriller, the link you sent me is a real keeper! The stave angles shown on the site agree with my numbers, so I'm on the right track.

I don't know if I will be building a barrel, a drum, or a bucket. I just know how important is to keep learning and building. I'm retired, 72 next month, never been busier than now. Maybe because it is taking me twice as long!

Bill

TEST-1.dwg

Bill i did this in draftsight and may not be any help to you but thought that i would post it anyway.

i save it as a Autcad 2009 drawing so you should be able to pull it up

i used the octagon command for the drawing

Glad that to link to the barrel stave's was a help, like you i like a challenge (by the way i am 73)

The forum is here to help feel free to ask for help

Edited by welldriller
more information