Auxiliary Views

Bill W

Anything that's called "Auxiliary View" is definitely a school assignment. That word was used in the 1950's drafting era. haha :lol:

My first drafting class was in 1958, so there is some truth to the above quote. But I'm not now on a school assignment, other than the continuous learning we all do.

I'm a woodworker as well as a cad guy. I'm trying to create true size views of some complicated (to me) angular designs. So far I'm using the concepts I studied 55 years ago, but using ACad for precision. So far so good, but tedious. Is there a new better term than Auxiliary View, and are there shortcuts or methods to obtain true size and angle views?

Thanks much

Bill Wells

Olympia WA USA

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill W

• ReMark

• SLW210

• welldriller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the term is still applicable.

Auxiliary view: A view drawn at a right angle to an angled feature of the part. Auxiliary views show the true size of an angled surface.

One suggestion...switch to using Inventor. Your life should get easier.

Are you rotating the object, using SNAPANG, or Polar Tracking to facilitate the creation of your auxiliary views?

Have you considered working in 3D then extracting the necessary views from the 3D model?

Edited by ReMark

My first drafting class was in 1958, so there is some truth to the above quote. But I'm not now on a school assignment, other than the continuous learning we all do.

I'm a woodworker as well as a cad guy. I'm trying to create true size views of some complicated (to me) angular designs. So far I'm using the concepts I studied 55 years ago, but using ACad for precision. So far so good, but tedious. Is there a new better term than Auxiliary View, and are there shortcuts or methods to obtain true size and angle views?

Thanks much

Bill Wells

Olympia WA USA

Yes, Auxiliary View is still used to this day. Some around here like to make irrelevant posts to increase their post count, I'm sorry.

Are you working in 3D or doing all of this in 2D?

I see you use LT, so would think this is 2D work.

There are a few tutorials around for using the UCS and other commands in Full AutoCAD not sure how it works with LT.

Auxiliary Views with UCS

I am moving your post to the AutoCAD LT forum, they may be more helpful.

I usually create 3D models and extract views, not sure if LT can do that.

Asking about the technique the OP uses to create his auxiliary views is tantamount to boosting one's post count? I didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me.

Yes, I failed to note the OP was using LT. My bad.

What's my penance for each infraction?

Asking about the technique the OP uses to create his auxiliary views is tantamount to boosting one's post count? I didn't know that. Thanks for enlightening me.

Yes, I failed to note the OP was using LT. My bad.

What's my penance for each infraction?

Where was ReMark ever mentioned?

Every thread and response on CADTutor is not in reference to ReMark, no matter how much he desires that status.

But, I can delete some/most of your posts if you like.

If your reading comprehension needs help I'll enlighten you...it was in response to the post quoted by the OP to prompt his response.

Anything that's called "Auxiliary View" is definitely a school assignment. That word was used in the 1950's drafting era. haha :lol:

SLW210 - I don't see the file Bill W posted in his first or previous post, can you resurrect that? I think it got lost in the move to the LT discussion group.

There are probably a number of methods (LT), but could you post a file or images of the sort of thing you are hoping to achieve it would make answering so much easier.

If your reading comprehension needs help I'll enlighten you...it was in response to the post quoted by the OP to prompt his response.
Why did you call me out on a post from 2009? Back then I freely posted a lot more, and the boards were nowhere near as active as now. Can I expect moderators to continue to bully the volunteering members from exposing posts from half a decade ago?

Yes, that was my first post but not my last, did not know you folks were so much fun. I'm using Acad Lt 2011.

My current woodworking project includes angled, tapered, beveled, staves; kind of like building a barrel where nothing is square. I developed trigonometric equations to calculate the angles, so did some of my friends, and we all disagree on what is correct! So I'm going to use ACad to verify the equations, but need the true size and angle auxiliary views. There should be an attached file with my first simple attempt.

Or no there will be no file - the uploader just kept running for 20 minutes. Will attach when I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Bill

A regular CAD Comedy Central that's us!

Re: The file you are attempting to upload. What is the file type? What is the file size?

I think of few of us know what barrel staves are. Are you actually building a barrel or something else?

One file was .dwg, 434kb, the other a .pdf. Here is a .jpg (hope it works).

Nope, no barrel yet, just a few flower pots for my wife so far (see photo). Others make shallow ones that they turn on a lathe to make nice bowls.

IMG_1037 (Medium).jpg

Duelas2.jpg

Bill, sorry I couldn't read the dims on the image, as suggested using the UCS command to move about is the best method, LT doesn't have the built in tools to make it easier so you have to adjust it by inputting angles (though the UCS grip feature -2012 and newer- makes it better). How are you drawing it at the moment. I think there are web site calculators for this sort of thing, try looking for crown moulding or compound bevel calculators. Attached is a model showing how I would go about it, but the angles will alter depending on your sizes. Can you try and attach your file - maybe try dropbox or something similar if it's too big.

PlantPot.dwg

Yes, that was my first post but not my last, did not know you folks were so much fun. I'm using Acad Lt 2011.

My current woodworking project includes angled, tapered, beveled, staves; kind of like building a barrel where nothing is square. I developed trigonometric equations to calculate the angles, so did some of my friends, and we all disagree on what is correct! So I'm going to use ACad to verify the equations, but need the true size and angle auxiliary views. There should be an attached file with my first simple attempt.

Or no there will be no file - the uploader just kept running for 20 minutes. Will attach when I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Bill

I believe the max file sixe for a file is 2mb. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

If the file is over 2mb, then running 'purge' or 'pu' on the drawing (Which deletes all unused layers, blocks, etc from a drawing) will bring down the size.

Steven, the dwg file is only 434 kb; I still can't get it to upload. Is there a way I could send it directly to an email, or is that verboten?

I have looked at websites that have tables for some angles. Have to admit, however, that this has become a challenge to learn the method of doing the calculations, and now to re-learn auxiliary views on ACad. I don't do things the easy way. Will look at your attachment after breakfast.

ReMark, no, there is no usual number of staves. The only variables are no. of staves and cone angle. The flower pot in the photo is 8 staves and cone angle of 20 degrees. My friend in Argentina makes bowls with 16 or more staves.

Potguy, the files I try to upload are small. Photo attachments work fine.

Yes, student version of ACad LT. I will always be a student regardless of age (72 next month).

If you are not always learning you are not living.

Duelas means staves in Spanish - a friend in Argentina got me into this!