array along a 3d polyline

richgorrod

Hello,

I am trying to array a 3d block along a 3d polyline made up of straight plines. I align the block to the end of the endpoint on the 3d polyline ie the path. use array path command.The block does not align properly around the path. I have tried the z direction and selecting no.

Attached is a drawing - the strange thing is that path works fine on the red pline but not on the cyan pline.

3d Array.dwg

Any help would be great.

thanks alot

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Give the 3DARRAY command a try,

assuming that you have been using the regular ARRAY command.

Thanks for the reply. 3d array does niot have a path option.

Also found that the block I am aligning must not have any z rotation before starting the array. Working perfectly like that.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Rich

Hello,

.... 3d polyline made up of straight plines. ...- the strange thing is that path works fine on the red pline but not on the cyan pline.

Did you not notice that there is a difference? The cyan line has curves and straight sections.

Do you have access to Autodesk Inventor?

nope I have access to autodesk inventor. Not really sure what it is.

The big problem was the z rotation. The block has to have zero rotation. then use the z direction option to align the block to the line once arrayed.