Moving "lines/threads" of Dims?

Sbeth85

You know how you have a line/thread of Dims going across all the walls of a building?

Well, sometimes I need to adjust the placement of the line, and then I need to go back and select every-single-little-dimension in that line. Isn't there a way to bind them all together, so that they can move as one continuous line of Dims?

(When I make them, I make the first Dim with the Linear Dim tool and then do Continue to make the rest of the thread).

Any help appreciated!:?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbeth85

• ReMark

• nestly

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Dims ARE on a separate layer.

I'm attaching a pic. It's a very small screenshot of a much larger project.

Let's say I want to move the dimensions that are circled- isn't there a way to clink on that series of Dims ONCE, and the dims will figure out that I want to adjust ALL of them?

As of now, I have to pick through and individually select each one if I want to move the entire line.

autocad screenshot.jpg

No, you cannot pick just one dimension and have all the other dimensions "figure out" you mean to include them too not unless you went through the bother of adding constraints. BTW...there is no artificial intelligence built into AutoCAD. You know who does the "thinking"? It's you.

Make the dimension layer current, freeze the other layers and use the STRETCH command as nestly demonstrated for you earlier. When done thaw all the frozen layers.

Make the dimension layer current, freeze the other layers and use the STRETCH command as nestly demonstrated for you earlier. When done thaw all the frozen layers.

Actually, I'd Isolate (lock) the other layers using LAYISO, to avoid losing visibility of the model.

LAYISO.gif

Nestly,

I concur with all three of you guys about your solutions. I just wanted to ask, "Where did you get that wonderful toy?". I've seen it used a lot recently.

Why Stretch and not Move?

I know there's no AI in AutoCad, and yet it does keep becoming more and more intuitive... one can dream.

Yes, I'd like to be able to move the DIMS without losing visibility. I didn't know LayIso had settings, that I could change between turning Off and Locking/Fading. Thanks!

bbankston-

Ah, THAT would explain the hundreds of random dots all over my screen! Wish I'd known this 2 years ago :P Thanks!

Sbeth85, to further explain bbankston's comment(s) when you place (associative) dimensions on your drawing the pick points that you use create nodes for the dimension- those are the tiny dots. Think of them as an anchor that associates the dimension to the geometry. When you move the dimension without moving the geometry the dimension becomes dis-associated with the geometry.

You can re-associate the dimension by selecting the dimension and stretching the node grips by snapping them to the geometry.

Since you are just stretching the tops of the dimensions I don't see why the geometry has to be shown but if you feel more comfortable doing it that way then so be it. As long as you are do not grab the nodes when stretching the dimensions there is no harm to be done.

Re: random dots. Are you sure they are dots and not "blips"? Ever hear of BLIPMODE?

When I use LAYISO I greatly prefer being able to see that which is frozen,

and if you are trying to align your dimensions so that they look optimal

on the layout, then I would definitely want to see the geometry, to be sure.

Slightly off subject maybe, but another very good tool to be aware of for

tidying up dimensions on your layout is DIMSPACE.

If you want all selected dimensions to align with the first dimension

selected, then choose 0 for the spacing prompt at the end of the command.

Patrick, thank you for the extensive explanation, greatly appreciated!

ReMark- nope, what's BLIPMODE?

Dadgad- I think I tried DIMSPACE once but didn't understand how to utilize it... if I still have to select each and every DIM in my line to use it, what's the point?

Nestly,

Thank you for the baller video!

My issue is that I have a million different dims intersecting each other. Even if I LayIso only the Dims, when it comes time to selecting them, I still need to pick through and make sure I don't accidentally move other dims. :x

I don't think it's asking too much for AutoCad to come out with a feature that will not only associate Dims to the architecture, but also to their neighboring dims.