Opening a dwg in an older version of Autocad

flyin blonde

I am often given dwg's in lieu of an actual drawing in order to find dimensions for a structure. I have to send them to friend who has a newer version of straight Autocad, because I only have Autocad LT 2000 right now. He saves them as an older version and emails them back. I would like to find a way to avoid this step, I have heard there is a program I can buy that will allow me to open a dwg in a newer version in my old version, but can anybody verify this? I would need to not only open it, but pull dimensions off.

Thanks

Generally what version of AutoCAD are the drawings being saved in? Is it 2010 file format?

Not sure what it is saved in, and I don't think I can get that info. There are a lot of "politics" involved, I downloaded the dwg's from an FTP site set up for the project's owner, the drawings were all produced by the engineer and architect. The architect and the engineer, even tho responsible for the design and the dimensions, usually don't provide the dwg files, but would rather have the contractor provide through formal channels.

(This may not make sense to someone who hasn't been involved in commercial or civil construction projects, but is actually pretty common.)

My particular drafting specialty is known as "steel detailing" and can encompass a wide variety of projects, but this particular job is a water treatment pump station upgrade.

So back to the original question, would I need to know what version the source drawings were made in?

No, the file format of the source drawing is irrelevant. Just download DWG Trueview. It's all you need to open, view and convert newer drawings to an older format that will open in your Autocad 2000. Or as Eldon stated, just take off dimensions from within Trueview.

I am not positive on this, but I believe that if you download the latest version of DWG True View, it will be able to handle anything you want it to.

The latest new file type for Autocad is 2013.

Once you have installed the free software you should be able to open any drawing,

up to and including the very latest file types, then you can save them all

to whatever earlier file type you want.

There may well be some functionality lost, meaning don't expect all the latest bells and whistles

to be available in your older file type. But the drawing should be ACCURATE and open,

hence available for you to work on.

Cool, I will try it. I just checked to make sure my pc was able to run it (something else I need to upgrade) and it looks like it should work. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks!

Sure you can. It's in the header of the file.

What J.D. Mather is so cryptically referring to is the fact that you can open an Autocad file in any Word document program to find out what version created it. Just look for text in the header like AC1021 or AC1024. These numbers refer to the version of Autocad that created the file. Below is a list of the various codes and what version of Autocad they relate to.

AC1027 AutoCAD 2013

AC1024 AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AC1021 AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

AC1018 AutoCAD 2004/2005/2006

AC1015 AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002

AC1014 Release 14

AC1012 Release 13

AC1009 Release 11/12

AC1006 Release 10

AC1004 Release 9

AC1003 Version 2.60

AC1002 Version 2.50

AC1001 Version 2.22

AC2.22 Version 2.22

AC2.21 Version 2.21

AC2.10 Version 2.10

AC1.50 Version 2.05

AC1.40 Version 1.40

AC1.2 Version 1.2

MC0.0 Version 1.0

I don't even know why we're discussing file formats though. It's not relevant to the question and it's steering this thread off topic.

You could always request that any files sent to you be first saved in 2000 file format. Then there would be no need to install DWG Trueview. But that's probably asking a lot of the contractor. Better you take responsibility for the conversion.

I'm still curious as to what file format the files you are being sent are saved in.

Personally, I prefer to keep the conversion under my control. Some suppliers of drawings do not know how to convert to a previous version, so unless dire emergency, I do it with DWG TrueView.

However DWG TrueView does have its limitations. I still get messages of "ArxErrors" and it does not convert Educational versions.

My preferred way is to open a new drawing with my own template, and X-Ref the client's drawing in, having converted it. It does have its advantages as you do not want to alter the client's geometry :shock:

I was not aware of "arx errors" using DWG Trueview. In that case I would suggest you kindly ask the supplier of the drawing(s) to do a "saveas" to the AutoCAD 2000/AutoCAD LT 2000 file format.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a similar situation using acad2006, I received several DXF files which open OK, but one which is 3D file, and I get the error AC1021 which I assume is the later version, I have tried my usual conversion pgm which up till now hasn't failed me, but is says Convert failed, either to DWG or DXF 2006.

Any ideas?

Thanks