TERMXX values using another attribute?

pqphillips

Okay folks, it's been a while, so I'm back with another stumper (at least for me).

Based off a previous issue with terminal blocks (here), I've determined that the best course of action to resolve this is to create the 4 pole terminal block as a regular component as opposed to a terminal block. Done and done, right?

Well... almost.

See the issue I am having now is that I have created a block using the following attributes:

TBX = Value of X (The terminal number)

TERM01 = Default value of XJ (jumper bar connection)

TERM02 = Default value of XA (first point on terminal block)

TERM03 = Default value of XB (second point on terminal block)

TERM04 = Default value of XC (third point on terminal block)

TERM05 = Default value of XD (fourth point on terminal block)

My question is this: Is there a way I can set the default value of TERM01 through TERM05 to utilize the value of TBX followed by the letter designation?

In other words, if the value of TBX is 6, then TERM01 will automatically become 6J, TERM02 will automatically become 6A, etc...

Any help, tips, tricks, or even laughing in my face would be appreciated.

The attached block will populate the last 5 attributes with the value in the first, BUT in order to do this there is a visibility state, when you insert the block it prompts for the value of TBX and then swithing the visability state will populate the others, once done you can change the value of TBX without trouble - it is just a quirk of blocks that on insertion attributes cannot read other attributes

Terminal.dwg

Nice, except for two things.

1) It won't insert and gives me a message that says "Block Terminal references itself".

2) I have no idea how you set it up, so I can't replicate it with my own block.

Maybe because the drawing has the same name as the block, works fine here, how are you inserting the block (which method).

The TERM* attributes just have a field inserted in the value that refers to the TBX attribute as an object, and the TERM* attributes are not visible when you first insert the block.

Maybe because the drawing has the same name as the block, works fine here, how are you inserting the block (which method).

The TERM* attributes just have a field inserted in the value that refers to the TBX attribute as an object, and the TERM* attributes are not visible when you first insert the block.

I first tried browsing to it using the Icon Menu, then I tried the Insert command. Both methods caused it to do the same thing. The block won't even insert.

As far as inserting fields into my existing block is concerned, I've tried to do so, but I think I am doing something wrong as the fields won't update.

steven's drawing is called terminal and contains the block, also called terminal.

You should be able to use design centre to extract the block or open the drawing and explode the block before saving it.

Thing is, I need to adapt the principles behind it to our own existing terminal block that we use, not create an all new one.

In other words, I need to get the damned fields working right, and I can't figure out how.

Well that doesn't work, then. In order for AutoCAD Electrical to use the extraction features, it has to be set up as an unnested block, otherwise Electrical won't extract aanything.

Are there any other options you are aware of?

Edited by pqphillips

Okay, I just tried inserting the block, and as I thought, it doesn't register as an Electrical component. I cannot connect wires to it or edit it.

If I explode the block, then I can do it, but wow this is a roundabout way of getting it done.

Is there an easier and/or faster way of doing it?

Sorry I only know one way to make a block, and that was it. Maybe someone who uses electrical can help if it needs preparing differently, I have no idea how you go about registering components. And you cannot have a vis state in an exploded block. :unsure:

Is there a way, perhaps, to get an autonumbering sequence going on this?

The first one would always be a "1" of course, but could I set it to where it can automatically fill in the next number in sequence?

For instance, I put in the parent symbol 010TB01 with a TBX value of 1. After that, I would use child symbols (so they'd pick up the 010TB01) and have them automatically fill in 2, 3, 4, etc. as well as filling in the appropriate information on the TERM01 through TERM05.

Is this at all possible? Or am I just dreaming?

The problem is with fields in a block, they won't read another field in the same block without using the trick above, How do you go about inserting your blocks in Electrical to get them to 'register' properly it's a process I didn't even know existed. I think we may have to wait until someone with an Electrical background can offer some assistance.