Unable to view drawing of a successfully opened .dwg file (Autocad 2012)

zincbear

Hi there,

I am encountering a very wierd issue with Autocad 2012 (student version).

My home laptop is opening the .dwg files successfully (no errors) but i am unable to see the drawing.

The drawing is definitely there, because i can see the thumbnail when i am opening it. Moreover, i work on the same drawings at home.

Any suggestions?

Ray

Very odd problem. Feels like a settings problem, because i do not have the same problem at work. Must be some difference in configuration, just that i cannot find the difference...

You are aware that the thumbnail is just a snapshot taken in time and does not accurately reflect what you will see when you open your drawing?

I have a feeling your drawing has vanished. Do you have a backup copy available?

You are aware that the thumbnail is just a snapshot taken in time and does not accurately reflect what you will see when you open your drawing?

I have a feeling your drawing has vanished. Do you have a backup copy available?

How could the drawing have vanished if it is there when he opens it at work?

What version of AutoCAD do you use at work?

What are the specifications for BOTH of the computers?

Are you sure you have the exact same file at home and at work?

What size is the drawing?

His home drawing could be corrupted.

He inadvertently saved an empty drawing under the wrong name thus overwriting the file.

Try this. Open the drawing, invoke the ERASE command then type in ALL, does the command line report any objects selected? Example:

Command: ERASE

Select objects: All

213 found

Here's another trick you can try.

Start a new drawing. Insert the defective drawing as a block into it. What happens? Note: If the defective drawing suddenly appears before your eyes EXPLODE the block then immediately run the AUDIT command on it. Hopefully AutoCAD will find and fix any errors with the drawing's database. You can then save the drawing under a new name.

Last option. Attach a copy of this defective drawing to one of your posts so someone here can take a look at it.

Edited by ReMark

How could the drawing have vanished if it is there when he opens it at work?

What version of AutoCAD do you use at work?

What are the specifications for BOTH of the computers?

Are you sure you have the exact same file at home and at work?

What size is the drawing?

The Autocad version of both are the same - 2012. I used the same installation file.

The specifications of both computers are different. While the PC at work is a desktop, and is probably more powerful, my home laptop has good specs too. Runs a Win 7, with I7-3740QM @ 2.7 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, 64 bit operating system with a NVidia Quadro K1000M.

I use a portable HDD to store my files. Basically i run the files from the portable HDD, at home or at work.

One key clue is that my mouse pointer disappears when it goes onto the workspace. It appears at the ribbons, pull down menus, command line, but disappears in the workspace.

I have tried uninstalling my autocad 2012, deleted all remaining files and re-installed them... but to no avail. The same problem exists.

And pirated it is not. It is a student version... argh. Help.

Oh, and 1 more clue, whatever new stuff that i draw, be it circles, lines or whatever, does not appear. No grids also, even if i turn on the grids. It gets stuck easily too. If i click on the pull-down menu to change to Autocad Classic, it gets stuck for a minute or so and then continues its operation... so wierd. Never experienced this before.

Edited by zincbear
Additional information

So you went the nuclear option (uninstall/reinstall) before trying any of my suggestions. I see. Well, I would have tried a REPAIR of the installation before going the uninstall/reinstall route. Did you test any other drawings prior to doing the uninstall to see if the problem was related to AutoCAD, in general, or a specific drawing? When you did the uninstall/reinstall did you follow AutoDesk's recommended procedure? Did you know there was one?

So, what are you going to do now?

Sounds like a graphic card/setting issue. Try typing in 3dconfig and change a few settings under manual tune. Turn on/off hardware acceleration.

So you went the nuclear option (uninstall/reinstall) before trying any of my suggestions. I see. Well, I would have tried a REPAIR of the installation before going the uninstall/reinstall route. Did you test any other drawings prior to doing the uninstall to see if the problem was related to AutoCAD, in general, or a specific drawing? When you did the uninstall/reinstall did you follow AutoDesk's recommended procedure? Did you know there was one?

So, what are you going to do now?

Actually, i tried a repair first, which did not work. Then an installation by overwriting.. which also did not work. Then i went ahead with the clean re-installation. All tries had no error messages.

I usually use the typical installation, but i had not checked the installations for Autocad Inventor Fusion.

I think this experiment shows that there is nothing wrong with the Autocad installation.

I'm back at work today and i re-opened my drawings here. No problems.

Does this happen in a new drawing, a few drawings, all drawings or just this one file?

Are all Service Packs and Updates installed?

Do you have the latest graphics card driver from Autodesk?

Happens to all drawings.

Good points on the service packs and updates, i will have to check this one. I will also have to check on the graphics card drivers from Autodesk.

Sounds like a graphic card/setting issue. Try typing in 3dconfig and change a few settings under manual tune. Turn on/off hardware acceleration.

I will try it and let you guys know how it turns out.

You could attach the file here to see if anyone else can view it.

I can view the drawing at work, so it definitely is there. Moreover, this problem occurs for all the drawings i have tried, plus, i am unable to see my newly drawn lines/circles on the workspace. So the problem is probably not drawing dependent, but rather autocad or PC dependent...

I use a portable HDD to store my files. Basically i run the files from the portable HDD, at home or at work.
Happens to all drawings.
Maybe the HDD driver on your home computer should be updated, or there may be usb port issues. That's a wild guess. Do you have any problems with files other than dwg files on your HDD?

Here's a shot in the dark. Email a drawing to yourself from work to home and try running it from your C drive. That will eliminate issues with your HDD to home computer at least.

It finally boils down to a graphics card issue.

I had installed the service packs 1 and 2, and updated graphics drivers under 3dconfig. It had initially failed to update because the directory was 'read-only'. Managed to control the folder after giving 'special permissions' to myself. After updating, autocad was back to normal!

Thank you all for the inputs! It was great help!