How to prevent an object appearing on top while using the MOVE command?

draknar

Greetings!

I'm sure this must be a simple solution somewhere, but I don't think I know how to phrase the question properly for a good search.

Before I upgraded to AutoCAD 2014 (was using 2012) when I used the MOVE command on 3D geometry (while using the Realistic Visualization) I could see one object move into another. Like, moving a cylinder into a box to represent a button, and I would see it slowly sink into the box as I moved it further and further along.

In 2014, the object I am moving will REMAIN ON TOP visually of all other geometry until it is completely inside the other geometry (at which point it disappears completely). It's hard for me to then judge just how much of it is sticking out during the MOVE command. Once I complete the move command, the proper visualization order is then shown.

In other words, if I have a 10 inch cylinder, and I'm trying to move it into a box so only 2 inches sticks out (as a visual guesstimation), currently I would see ALL 10 inches of the cylinder whether part of it is inside the box or not, until I complete the MOVE command.

Sorry if this is an awkwardly written question. I think the fix is probably just a simple visualization option somewhere, I just can't track it down.

Thanks for the help!

All styles report the same behaviour? Odd.

I'm only using 2012 right now, so I'm afraid I can only be of limited assistance.

Judging by your initial post I assume all other objects behave in the same way?

If someone who is using 2014 could try to replicate this behaviour and can, then it could be a bug or if not it could be a setting or something somewhere down the line that you probably didn't mean to change. Is this Vanilla AutoCAD with no bells and whistles? (No custom stuff)

This is Vanilla AutoCAD 2014, fresh install.

If someone using 2014 can try this, and can give feedback on this then that would help us greatly.

As I'm a student, tonight I'll download student ACAD 2014 and give it a go if no-one does before then.

PotGuy - It works as you were wanting, make two solids, move one into the other, visually see the two merge with one disappearing into the other, etc. Works with all the 3D visual styles.

PotGuy - It works as you were wanting, make two solids, move one into the other, visually see the two merge with one disappearing into the other, etc. Works with all the 3D visual styles.

So you're saying this is how your 2014 works? Do you remember if when you installed it you had to change an option to get it to work that way?

I'm certain it has to be an option somewhere. Any suggestions as to menus or commands I should check or read up on to see if that changes the visualization? I almost feel like it should be similar to the option that allows you to highlight objects when you mouse over them, since it's probably in there to intentionally show you the whole object you are tampering with.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

EDIT - I also wanted to add that the object highlighting over everything else while using a MOVE command ALSO occurs when using the COPY command. So I do not think it's a command specific feature.

Maybe if we think about this in a different way... when you are trying to move or copy an object, do you know how there is that "preview", like a copy of the object, you move around? Can you turn that OFF completely? If so, how? I feel like that "preview" type feature would also include the option I'm looking for. Maybe?

I assume that's with 2014 installed rkent?

It might be a pain but maybe it's worth re-installing?

I wouldn't do it now, but it is an option if there doesn't appear to a solution later down the line.

I assume that's with 2014 installed rkent?

It might be a pain but maybe it's worth re-installing?

I wouldn't do it now, but it is an option if there doesn't appear to a solution later down the line.

I mean, it's not even that big of a deal, just really really annoying. I hate when features are added but then they make it so difficult to figure out how to revert back to older settings.

I installed 2014 and I didn't set any settings to make that happen. I would start with trying hardware acceleration on or off. Then I would look at updating the graphics card driver.

draknar, what are you PC specs? May help us understand what is causing it.

Also, I've just seen your siggy rkent. Glad you're not the only one to get riled by it!

I installed 2014 and I didn't set any settings to make that happen. I would start with trying hardware acceleration on or off. Then I would look at updating the graphics card driver.

You Solved It!!

I guess my boss installed older drivers for the GeForce video card when he put the machine back together. I updated the video card drivers and it works just fine now.

Here I thought it was an option in AutoCAD, and it turned out to be a bloody video card issue. How about that?

Thanks for your help!!

No difference here. Do both have hardware acceleration enabled? Are you sure you're moving the object in a plane where they intersect, and not on a different plane and then "snapping" into the the other object?

Untitled.gif

* edit - nevermind, it was solved while I was making the demo.