VPFreeze individual OBJECTS?

Sbeth85

If I don't want to VP Freeze everything on that layer, is there a way to individually VP Freeze certain objects on one layer? (without having to make new layers?)

The sitch: Making a ceiling plan, some dims are needed in all the other plans, but some are not needed in the ceiling plan. How can I simply turn "off" in the VP the few separate Dims I don't need? And that they can still turn up like normal in all the other VPs?

ReMark- I think you've misunderstood me. I don't want to permanently hide certain objects. I only want them hidden in SOME VPs while still being visible in others.

I have too many layers, if anything.

(Also due to the 3rd party, as discussed ad naseum).

There's: l-txt, l-txt 20, l-txt 50, etc.

I have no problem making separate layers that will only APPEAR in certain VPs, but how to make objects selectively appear/disappear from a text layer is different...

ReMark, I really appreciate your advice but could you please tone down the snark?

I deliberately posted all these questions in the Beginner's Forum because I know they might be basic to gurus like yourself.

The HIDEOBJECTS command is hiding those particular dimensions in ALL ViewPorts, not just the one specifically that I don't want to see them in.

I don't know of a command that will Freeze on object-basis, everything is basically done on Layer-basis, so I would say you are doomed to create even more layers.

There is no real limit to the amount of layers you can have, even if the more is not the merrier in this case from a work-flow perspective.

ReMark, as was stated quite clearly in the very first post: If I don't want to VP Freeze everything on that layer, is there a way to individually VP Freeze certain objects on one layer

What is hard to understand about that question?

The question was not how difficult it was, the question was how it is done. As the OP said, tone down the snark, that is not helping anyone.

There's nothing difficult, it's just effin' annoying.

Like, a layer JUST from 1 dimension? or 1 block that pops up occasionally? I'll do it if I have to, it's just a hassle and irks me with all these extra layers. #notocdatallipromise

The lisp that ReMark linked to earlier works - but it does create it's own layer.... so it's the same solution that we've been talking about, but in a lisp-form

I don't want to start going into XRefs, I'm not sure the problem justifies them, and I'm too new to them to make it worth its while.

Thank you all, I'll just make separate layers.

If you use the lisp linked to previous, you'll get a separate layer with the objects. If you then use the lisp again to Thaw everything, stuff gets moved back to the original layer so it's pretty easy to in the end just remove the layer that was created.

Don't leave yet. I think I found another lisp routine that will hide objects in individual viewports.

Having mixed results. Sometimes I can get it to work and sometimes I can't. Requires making object(s) invisible first where they disappear from all viewports. Then going to the viewport where we want them to be shown and making them visible. If they don't immediately appear a REGEN, while still inside the viewport, is invoked and the object(s) reappears.

InvisibleObject.jpg

Two viewports showing the same six objects. What's missing? All objects on same layer. No new layers created.

Edited by SLW210
No need for multiple posts

Annotative dimensions are perfect for this type of situation. If the Viewports are different scales, each dimension has only 1 scale. If the Viewports are the SAME scale, make a copy of the scale and assign that scale to objects that are supposed to be displayed in both Viewports

Annotative Scales.gif

If I don't want to VP Freeze everything on that layer, is there a way to individually VP Freeze certain objects on one layer? (without having to make new layers?)

The sitch: Making a ceiling plan, some dims are needed in all the other plans, but some are not needed in the ceiling plan. How can I simply turn "off" in the VP the few separate Dims I don't need? And that they can still turn up like normal in all the other VPs?

Bad part is AutoCAD doesn't behave in this manner. Good part is, since you're dealing with dimensions, they are annotative which can in fact have this functionality. Nestly's demonstration is exactly how you would accomplish this. Granted, it's a workaround and it nests you further down the rabbit hole, but it can be done no problem.

The functionality you're inquiring about is a native functionality of Revit, which is a great platform you may want to look into. Granted, this one particular inquiry of yours doesn't warrant switching platforms, but I promote Revit when I can for anybody doing building design because of the overall benefits.