Object Snaps??? Where is it? Inventor 2010

Sengna

i am new to inventor, i am using inventor 2010 and tried to learn on my own and some on youtube, anyway can someone help me where to find the Ortho command in Inventor, I want to draw a straight line on 2D sketch. when i draw a vertical line to perpendicular to the geometry does inventor have ortho snap F8? or mid point? end point? when i want to snap a vertical line to mid point it does show the little green dot but i don't trust the dot than using snap tools. where are all the snap tools?

osnap.JPG

You don't need mid point , draw your line anywhere and after you add dimension, with dimession you have several choise.

edei.png

You can Measure a distance and then divided or you can clic on an existing dimenssion also.

For the vertical or horizontal line use Constrain, leave the mouse few second on the vertical constrain and you will see a video that explain how to use it.

m36x.png

Edited by Faouweb

I use midpoint "snap" in Inventor all the time.

I need midpoint "snap".

I trust the little green dot - I get a coincident constraint that sticks. Not just a temporary snap.

I have vertical, horizontal and endpoint too!

Tangent and perpendicular as well.

All automatic here.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

You don't need mid point , draw your line anywhere and after you add dimension, with dimession you have several choise.

edei.png

You can Measure a distance and then divided or you can clic on an existing dimenssion also.

For the vertical or horizontal line use Constrain, leave the mouse few second on the vertical constrain and you will see a video that explain how to use it.

m36x.png

That is really different from AutoCad, surprise that Autodesk did add these features to inventor, but it has constraint tools, i will play with it some more base on your suggestion, it will take sometime to get use to Inventor for Cad user. Thanks.

...surprise that Autodesk did add these features to inventor, ...

These (parametric dimensions and geometry constraints) existed in Inventor since the last century (long before they were added to AutoCAD). They work a lot better in Inventor than AutoCAD. (automatic and fairly seamless once you get used to the workflow)

Here is an example with Parametric Dimensions it's very powerful. for example i have drawn a Blind Flange, with this part only I can change Parametric Dimensions to have any size of the Blind Flange without drawing the part again.

zncn.png

yo46.png

pzcf.png

14ad.png

You can Download the IPT File to see how it was done.

BF.ipt

• 2 weeks later...

JD's tutorial in his link goes into more detail.

When in Sketch, in the Ribbon Menu under the Constrain Tab, pull down and click "Contraint Options". Toggle on/off the constraint inference's you desire. I keep them all on. Also check that the Contraint Persistence and Inference options are hi-lighted in Constrain Tab pull down.

When inserting geometry in a sketch, you can right mouse button, go to Points Snaps in the menu that pops up, and select Midpoint, Center, or Intersection to force the selection of that type of location.