Not quite Hatching...

JayVee

I'd like to create a line/lines that would represent nail-heads, spaced a cm or 1/2" apart.

In other words, have a few different layers that are a variety of what appear to be decorative nail-heads.

I'd draw shapes & lines with any default line, but when the time comes, I could turn specific lines into nail-heads.

Any place to download these, or how can I create them, so they'll be an option in my Layers?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayVee

• ReMark

• SLW210

• Tuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want a custom linetype that looks like a decorative nail head? Maybe you could ask someone who has full AutoCAD to use the MKSHAPE and MKLTYPE commands to create one for you.

Post an image of what you would want your custom linetype to look like.

How about creating a dynamic block instead? As it stretches more nail heads are displayed. Would that work?

• 2 weeks later...

Not unless you do each curve separately, and each curve was an arc, and each curve had a known radius, center point, and arc length. In other words, it'd have to be a series of polar arrays, each filling a known number of degrees with a known radius.

Nails heads along a line, arc, pline etc just use Divide and use the Block option for multiples need a lisp etc.

Nails in a polygon use array first then use "Cookiecutter.lsp" to remove those outside.Nails1.jpg

pencil.png

Nails2.jpg

None of this is working out to the way I was hoping. :(

For the application I'm thinking of, I believe I need to create a custom Linetype, that represents (or even better, actually looks like) decorative nails.

What determines the diameter of the dots in DOT or DOTX2 Linetypes?

What determines the the diameter of, and distance between, the circles in the Fenceline circle Linetype?

These are already close, conceptually, but ultimately not useable.

Why don't you mock something up that will give us a better idea of what the final product should look like otherwise I can see this thread continuing for another week. An image or a quick drawing should suffice. Remember - a picture is worth a thousand words.

The ability to change spacing and alter shapes, in my opinion, does not lend itself to a single custom linetype. Once again I'd suggest a dynamic block.

Are all of the designs identical (following the same pattern) or there are a few standard designs used? If they are a dynamic block as ReMark mentioned would work.

No, unfortunately, there is no 'standard', each use of the nail-heads will be custom.

I thought, perhaps over time, I could compile a variety of lines, curves & styles into a Dynamic Block 'tool box'.

SLW210 directed me to how to create custom Linetypes ~ I'm going to try that.

Thanks!

If you are going to create a custom linetype.........

Then you will need, for starters, a linetype for each unique nail head. Let's say there are three.

Next, you'll need two or more linetypes for the different spacing. Let's say there are 4 different types of spacing.

Therefore you would need 12 different linetypes.

Would that work for you?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it's exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.

I realize it will take some time - plus the 'learning curve' (I'm very new to AutoCAD)

if there's a video-tutorial on creating custom Linetypes... that would be great.

:)

Ralph Grabowski wrote a three page article about linetypes (how they are set up and how to create your own). A quick Internet search should be able to locate them. I think it was part of his "Tailoring AutoCAD" series. I don't suppose LT 2009 has the MKLTYPE and MKSHAPE commands does it? They were part of full AutoCAD found under "Express Tools" but I can't recall if they found there way over to LT at some point.

:( Express Tools in AutoCAD LT 2009

Of the 122 separate tools in the Express Tools collection, only the 19 tools listed below are active in AutoCAD LT 2009. (the comparison matrix provided by Autodesk shows the Express Tools as being checked, or included, in AutoCAD LT 2009.)

· CHSPACE

· CLOSEALL

· COPYTOLAYER

· LAYCUR

· LAYDEL

· LAYFRZ

· LAYISO

· LAYLCK

· LAYMCH

· LAYMRG

· LAYOFF

· LAYON