Temporary pc3 location

Keywordkid

Is it possible to define a path where users can save temporary pc3 files?

Currently our plot settings are defined in a read only location, this presents problems when users want to make single plot changes to the defaults as the location will not allow the temporary file to be saved.

Hope you can advise.

Is getting them to default to a read only location even possible? When I installed AutoCAD it already had a folder for plot styles that isn't read only.

You can change the file location after the install to a new location which can be read only. The only thing I can think of is adding a second location that has write access and moving is to the top of the 2 locations. This should make this the default location when you are prompted to save the PC3 file. The only thing I would be wary of using this method would be that it will pick up the plotter configurations from here as well so the names must be unique or keep the location empty.

What happens when one of these drawings is opened on another computer and it can't find the plotter config files?

I was under the assumption it would be in a shared location, although if it is not then my suggestion would not work.

I was under the assumption it would be in a shared location, although if it is not then my suggestion would not work.
I was just chiming in because I telecommute without a VPN, just email, so I could not make that sort of change myself. I have enough trouble trying to get plotstyles from some of my clients if they require me to use their templates.

Our Plot Style and Plotter directories are read-only, so I copied the entire directory to our full write-access mapped drive. Then I copied my profile and changed those directory paths for this same problem. It's very rare that I need to do this, but when you do need it and can't, it gets really annoying so this was my workaround.

Pretty sure the PC3 is part of the Config File settings this can be changed on the fly using a lisp or just config. "Printer configuration search path"

(vl-load-com)

(setq *files*  (vla-get-files  (vla-get-preferences (vlax-get-Acad-object))))

(vla-put-PrinterConfigPath *files* "P:\\AutoDESK\\Plotting\\Plot Styles 2011")

Thanks for the comments. Yes it is a shared location, although it is stored locally via login scripts with updates pulled through at login from the network. It was not my prefered choice of set up but IT security restrictions on group policies for standard users and poor network speeds forced this method to maximise performance and enable users easier access to their bak files, etc. The problem only affects the windows system printer.pc3 again it is IT restrictions to the printer preferences that have complicated the settings.

I have the plotter config path defined as:

(setenv "PrinterConfigDir" "c:\\acad\\ACAD-2012-LOCAL\\02-Plotters\\")

I'll try BIGAL's suggestion to see if that will work in conjunction with my existing settings.