VIEWRES in VBA

abraxus

I know, I know, "viewres" is an old thing that isnt really used much anymore, but I'm dealing with old drawings. I have a simple routine that sets up some basic standards... like this

With ThisDrawing
   .SetVariable "UCSICON", 0 ' disable the ucs icon - it is not needed
   .SetVariable "SELECTIONCYCLING", 1 ' enable selection cycling
 End With

But i'd like to include viewres so the circles and arcs dont look so crappy... and I'm having a hard time finding out how to do this with VBA

I'm sure someone here must know...

VIEWRES is not a system variable so you cannot set using the ThisDrawing object and the SetVariable method

It actually belongs to currentuser - profile - preferences. Get the currentuser profile and set the preferences ".ArcSmoothness=2000" or whatever value you need.

For further details see this link: http://www.micrograf.pt/suporte/it/TD305173.asp

if it belongs to current user - profile - preferences, then why when using the same computer as the same user would i have to re-set it for each drawing?

if it belongs to current user - profile - preferences, then why when using the same computer as the same user would i have to re-set it for each drawing?

That's a good question. I would have thought that as it has a value, that setting would remain and not have to be reset. How do you know you have to reset it? Have you checked its value after you opened the old drawing. I have the feeling the value for VIEWRES will be the same as in the user profile and perhaps a regen is all that's needed.

nope, regen alone does not fix it - it has to be set each time an old drawing is opened, so it must be saved in the drawing somehow

i am using v2012 but the drawings are saved in v10 format for compatibility reasons - maybe that has something to do with it??

See the Viewport.ArcSmoothness property.

Sean, as usual you hit the nail on the head. :notworthy:

This code

ThisDrawing.ActiveViewport.ArcSmoothness = 2000

changed the value of 1000 to 2000.

Thanks for your help.

See the Viewport.ArcSmoothness property.

i wanted to thank the right person this time - there was really no need to dumb it down for me, tyke, i'm a programmer... i can put 2 and 2 together... all i needed was what SEANT gave me

i wanted to thank the right person this time - there was really no need to dumb it down for me, tyke, i'm a programmer... i can put 2 and 2 together... all i needed was what SEANT gave me

I believe that is a very rude comment!

People volunteer their time on here to help!

I agree with SLW210, it was a very rude comment.

i wanted to thank the right person this time
Try being a bit more precise in your replies and when you want to reply to just one person then use their name.

It was never my intention to insult anyone and if I did I can only apologise. As for dumbing it down I was not aware that I had, I just adjusted Sean's code so that it was as it need to be to work. I was also not aware that you were a programmer, perhaps if you gave a few more details in your profile we could all see what you do. As the vast majority of members of this forum are CAD users and very few are professional programmers I find it helpful also to give as much detail as possible in my comments. Although I write programs I am not a programmer, I am a manager, and perhaps see things somewhat differently to a programmer. Looking at you past posts and some of the questions you asked I can only say they were somewhat dumb and not the type of questions I would have awaited from a programmer and really do show your level of competence. If you

can put 2 and 2 together
then you should be able to solve all your problems by yourself! There are some exceptional people on this forum that are brilliant programmers, and who I respect tremendously, and I can assure you that if you continue to make rude comments then the amount of help you get will significantly reduce. I for one will not be offering you any more advice, even when I can.

yes, it was rude - i offer my apologies - it just reminded me of other help forums where one person would try and take the credit for someone else's research, and that's what upset me

i'll just stop asking questions then - you are right, as a programmer, i shouldnt need to ask anything here, it was just nice talking to all of you like-minded people about the issues i was having - it sucks that one night of being drunk and getting upset about a behavior that reminded me of forums past caused me to react in a way which lead to losing respect from all of you

thank you for the help you have given me in the past at least

i'll just stop asking questions then - you are right, as a programmer, i shouldnt need to ask anything here, it was just nice talking to all of you like-minded people about the issues i was having - it sucks that one night of being drunk and getting upset about a behavior that reminded me of forums past caused me to react in a way which lead to losing respect from all of you

thank you for the help you have given me in the past at least

I don’t think that necessary, though avoiding posting while drunk may be a good idea.

We’re all in the same boat. There are a lot of interesting things to be done – with minimal official documentation. A programmer without questions is one that has stopped doing anything new.

Speaking only for myself: I find a rude comment a point of concern, but a public apology earns some respect.

Continued participation is the only way to grace at CadTutor.