Inventor 2013 - Creating an IDW/dwg view. Parts shaded/unshaded

Ste1978

Is it possible (on the same view), to have some parts shaded and others unshaded?

For example I have a pipe run I would like to highlight further by shading, but I would like to leave the background unshaded. The only way around this seems to be if I use photoshop or illustrator...

If you read the thread title I am referring to IDWs :)

I'm 99% sure it's not possible, but thought there was maybe an addon or something I could use...

If there is a way to combine shaded and line objects in one view I do not know how that would be done.

But you can achieve pretty the same look you are after, by going into the assembly (.iam) and creating view representations. Create a new representation, then change the appearance of all your components to the same color, i.e. white. Change the appearance of the pipe to another color, red or blue, etc.... Go back to the drawing (.idw) and apply the design view representation to the view(s). The view will have to be toggled to Shaded. You can create multiple view representations in the .iam, and use one in a view, and use a different representation in another view within the same drawing, or a different drawing if you choose. You can also change the colors of the object lines in a view by selecting the individual lines, or picking the object in the browsers. Click right mouse button, then properties.

If you read the thread title I am referring to IDWs :)

I'm 99% sure it's not possible, but thought there was maybe an addon or something I could use...

Yes I noticed as soon as I posted it and deleted it:oops:

I agree with the ecshclark what you are wanting to do is not possible. (thank god for photoshop lol).