Model export Issues

BenamiArk

G'Day all

I am an aspiring inventor and are trying to have my first prototype of my first design made but I'm running into problems. Different companies are wanting specific files types for the equipment in their foundry and they presume I modelled the file I gave them and refuse to convert it themselves (probably encase if they do it wrong then they are liable) Anyway. I'd ask my 3D modeller paid online to handle the task but s/he wants more payment I cant afford for a job I presume to be really easy for someone with experience which is why I really need your help. I don't have a clue when it comes to 3D modelling and sadly with work/life I don't have the time.. I drew up a little report of my problem, have a read and let me know what you think?

----------------------------------

Steps taken to convert:

These are exactly the steps I took to convert the files. I am using a trial version of both Maya and Solidworks,

Taking the original .obj file my 3D modeller sent me and opened them in Autodesk Maya 2011

file -> import -> fileName

I then deleted each piece until one remain out of the three part piece and saved them under export

Export -> (save as IGESExport) and repeated that process for each piece

Then I took those separate IGES files and uploaded them into Soildworks 2013 x64 Edition

File -> Open -> (and then each one of the files.) I got this message: "This file contains free curves/point which are not desired according to the import options. Do you wish to import them anyway? (Yes)

And for the step files

File -> Save as -> (Save as type: STEP AP203) and also I created a folder for each piece saving it as STEP AP214 (*,step;*stp).

-----------------------------------

They told me parts (IGES) open in Solidworks. That it's suitable data for building or resaving in another format, when loaded into Magics there is no useable data.

They said the file types I sent them are (3KB) that the data hasn't saved

And also a problem is that it is "not water tight" which apparently means a large missing surface in the mesh indicated by the red area

Any ideas? Becuase I've been faced with this problem since late July and its really tough on my patience.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.

You realize your thread is posted in the AutoCAD 3D Modelling & Rendering forum and not in the CADTutor / Digital Design / Solidworks forum? Could explain why no one has bothered to reply.

What do you need as a final product to hand back to your clients? What file type does the final product have to be in?

Have you posted your question(s) at the Solidworks Forums at the Dassault Systemes' website as well? Find the forum here...https://forum.solidworks.com/index.jspa

Taking the original .obj file my 3D modeler

Not a good format for engineering data (more for "pretty pictures"). I would not use a modeler creating obj files.

And also a problem is that it is "not water tight" which apparently means a large missing surface in the mesh indicated by the red area

Go to the Surfaces tools in SolidWorks and Knit with the Try to form solid option selected.

Can you attach the SolidWorks file(s) here?

My apologies for posting in wrong forum. I don't think I can post my file on here. I'm thinking about paying a new modeller as apparently the model isn't to scale. I'm just wondering if I ask for iges files to be made and step files, and if the modeller just converts the file from one type to another, is there a possibility that the files will get damaged? (Had quite enough of damaged files ha!)

... if I ask for iges files to be made and step files, and if the modeller just converts the file from one type to another, is there a possibility that the files will get damaged?

No, unless they don't know what they are doing. IGES and STEP should result in identical geometry. (However, I estimate that only 10% do know what they are doing, so the odds are that your money will not be well spent.)

(Also, I recommend you go the 3D printing route before going to foundry.

Depending on its complexity I might be interested in helping you out with a new model. I usually don't freelance but I do help out people from time to time. Let me know if this interest you. And yes...Ive worked with converted files and sometimes there are translation errors. However, most of those errors can be repaired with SW.

Hi. What is the 3D printing route? Have it in plastic before metal? And bhamze, what Ill do is clarify with the foundry if a new model is necessary, ill draw up the exact measurements, check my numbers and then fire you a PM.

For the most part 3D printing would be a reference to plastic although I do believe it has been achieved using metal as well. I think however that option would be difficult to find someone who does it and expensive to do. JDM may be able to shed some further light on the matter.

I agree, 3d printing may be a better option especially if your trying to prove a concept. Ive seen some printed metal parts and the results were amazing. Below is a link that offer 3d printing services (plastic and metal), we use them on occasion and they are very reliable. Good luck!

http://3axis.us/

Depending on where you live you might be able to get a concept prototype rather quickly and cheaply.

3D printing at staples.png compared to several back and forth through several iterations (doesn't sound like you got things right the first time around, I'll wager it won't be right the second or maybe the third time either...) with the foundry.

oh thank you everyone! So very kind. And I've been thinking about it. At first I thought it was just more hassle and more time. But thinking since I was going to have to see if it all fits, i could get the first few prototypes in plastic should save me some precious monies! Thanks again for all time and patience, and bhamze, Ill be in touch

The option to private message you bhamze isn't available to me, only when I am signed off do I see the logo to do so, and when I'm signed in it's gone.

The option to private message you bhamze isn't available to me, only when I am signed off do I see the logo to do so, and when I'm signed in it's gone.

Email sent