HDRI and the benefits?

tzframpton

I've been reading a lot here lately on HDRI. Seems that's really the way most digital artists approach their rendering outputs. What is it exactly (personal definition from experience, please no LMGTFY responses) and why is it particularly so popular?

I'm going to be rendering a few things that are of great importance to me so I'd like to have the absolute best results I can possibly muster before Pshop touches it. Thanks in advance!

- Tannar

Short answer: HDRI = Realism

I have only done a handful of HDR renders over the years, but I have always been pleased with the realistic lighting and reflections I get when I use the high dynamic images to light my scenes.

Take a look at the 2 images below. This was one of my first attempts with HDRI. The first image was rendered with a Daylight System and the 2nd was rendered with HDRI. In my opinion the 2nd render looks far more realistic.

Desert_Eagle.jpg

Wow that does look way better. When I get ready for some renders I'll be scouring for some tutorials.

One other quick question: Is this done with MR? Or is it done in Photoshop? If done in Photoshop how much prep-work is involved?

One other quick question: Is this done with MR? Or is it done in Photoshop? If done in Photoshop how much prep-work is involved?

The HDRI? It's done with MR. It's the lighting information contained in the HDR image, and a skylight, that you use to illuminate your scene.

Here's a tutorial that explains the procedure: http://www.ihavedonenothing.com/simple_hdri_3d_studio_max_tutorial.htm

Also, here is a great place to find free HDR images: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

I also render with HDRI, lots of places free to download images if you hunt the net however the link Cad64 shared is a great start. I am very much into photography and shooting HDRI images that can be processed to a hdri in photoshop or the better of the two Photomatix. I am not an expert by a long but I do enjoy playing with the shots. HDRI is not the future of digital photography but it is for rendering as it will produce real life lighting conditions, and can do it with ease and speed.

EDIT: must clarify the photo HDR images I do are not the same as the one used in 3d rendering, they have to be processed in programs like light studio. You have two types of HDRI .

The guy who's website Rod recommended (hdrlabs) wrote 'The HDR Handbook'. It makes for an interesting read and is packed full of information.

Thanks for the additional info gentlemen. David, thanks for the reference. That book has a 5 star rating on Amazon... I'm gonna have to keep that on the wish list.

On a side note, the main reason I'm inquiring about this is because I really want to step up my rendering game. I'm wanting to dive in and make as realistic renders as possible. Now that I'm thirty years old, I can recall being a young teen and dreaming about 3D modeling. Now that I have access to home use applications that allow me to fulfill my creative juices, along with the years experience I have in miscellaneous 3D modeling, I've found a new passion to reroute my artistic desires in new areas of my personal free time, and 3ds Max and advanced rendering is my next step. This is all for my own personal benefit and nothing to do with work or sidework.

3ds Max and advanced rendering is my next step. This is all for my own personal benefit and nothing to do with work or sidework.

I have the Autodesk Product Design Suite and that also includes Max, on subscription I have the suite also at home, I stare at the Max icon and keep saying every now and then go for it spend 2 weeks solid to break the backbone of it. I have not found the time as I am still working on Alias. I have to say Alias and Max are much the same...they are very difficult to master lol. Good luck;)