Top End Macbook Pro Retina vs Top End (redesigned) Alienware M18

michaeltadeo

I'm looking to buy a laptop that will last for about the next 5 years. By "last" i mean run the same software (autocad, 3ds max, 2014, photoshop cs6) 5 years later. Or better, handle some newer software versions. if i have a budget of around $3000 (im not from the U.S. but that's pretty much the rough equivalent of it) what laptop should i get between these two. or are there any other suggestions?

helpful notes:

1. I'm looking to build a desktop too. but that's not the issue here because i really need mobility for now. so Laptop is what i need

2. I dont care about intensive gaming. i'm pretty sure a workstation can handle simcity so it does not have to be a gaming laptop. (also games make me unproductive. I'm weak and can't stand the temptation games bring me) so forget about gaming.

3. do you think the dual graphics card will help me with architecture stuff and software?

4. i want a laptop that will run as smooth as the day i bought it 5 years from now. most mac users say that macbooks stay as fast as brand new, while based from my experience (and what i see with other i7, i5 windows based laptops crashing autocad and sketchup after a few months) windows constantly slows down as you use it. is the mac os really that high above windows?

5. i care about design. both are great (alienware's new design is awesome. not like before the macbook pro looks sexier than it. now, macbook=sexy, clean alienware=i don't know. great? both are equally beautiful anyway

6.i dont care about bulk. if there's a desktop tower with a monitor on the side i'd be fine with it. as long as i can take it with me. so bulk is not really an issue.

7.i dont care about battery life. there a charger. battery=ups in laptops in my opinion.

THANKS!!!

You might want to check out XI Computers which always score very well on the CADalyst trial tests.

I have never used one, but ReMark speaks very highly of them.

Well buying a mac to run Windows software is wasteful spending. You will pay more for the Mac as well as the price of the copy of windows. With this savings you can buy a better PC laptop.

Let's use the top end Macbook Pro as a base model. I am not going to use the Retina model as a base as this one does not offer a platter drive option and only has a SSD hard drive which maxes out to 768 gb but this also puts you over your $3,000 budget. Then you are stuck with 512 gb which will run out real fast. So let's build a macbook pro.

Macbook Pro: $2,649.00

2.7 ghz Intel core i7

nVidia GF GT650M 1gb gddr5

8gb ddr3 ram

1tb hdd @ 5400 rpm

15" lcd 1680x1050

Dell XPS 15: $1,999.99

3.2 ghz Intel core i7

nVidia GF GT750M 2gb gddr5

16gb ddr3 ram

1tb hdd @ 5400 rpm w/32gb mSATS ssd

15.6" lcd 3200x1800

MSI GT70 17.3: $2,699.99

Intel core i7 4700MQ

nVidia GF GTX780M 4gb gddr5

32gb ddr3 ram

Super RAID 2 (128gb ssd) + 1tb hhd

bluray burner

17.3" lcd 1920x1080

OK what I've listed is the Mac as well as a Dell that looks just like the Mac except faster, better graphics, screen and less expensive. I've also listed one of the most powerful laptops you can buy which is still less expensive than the mac (well based on the specs, yeah it is about the same price). I can understand wanting something nice to look at for your hard earned money but just look at the whole picture before buying. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

3. do you think the dual graphics card will help me with architecture stuff and software?
For real-time work, no - other than rendering. To the best of my knowledge, only very recently have multiple graphics cards in SLI configurations been useful, and only with programs that are built to handle them.

4. i want a laptop that will run as smooth as the day i bought it 5 years from now. most mac users say that macbooks stay as fast as brand new, while based from my experience (and what i see with other i7, i5 windows based laptops crashing autocad and sketchup after a few months) windows constantly slows down as you use it. is the mac os really that high above windows?
I had a Core 2 Duo that was nearing six years old without a single upgrade that I recently retired. It held up well, even with the latest and greatest AutoCAD, 3ds Max and Revit (all 2013 products). Was it as fast as the day I got it? Yes, in a way. But the newer software didn't run as good and it lagged in some areas. But in all, it was a stellar computer and I built a new one just because I wanted to, not because I had to.

The one point I'll make for sustained performance is that it's not only in the hardware but the setup and maintenance of the operating system. Research online for Windows Services, and keep them to a very bare minimum (even Services such as Automatic Windows Update and just remind yourself to check for updates at your own comfort level of frequency). Use MSCONFIG to do away with all startup applications other than necessary ones. Disable "real time" scanning of Antivirus software. Keep your hardware drivers up to date... this is important!! A driver is "software that 'drives' your hardware" and is always underrated. Do not install every miscellaneous software you want or think you need... view the computer with a "workhorse only" and install only the necessary programs. This is how computers can stay very responsive and fresh for a good length of time. This is the approach that I do and it works very well. I have a laptop for all of my miscellaneous internet surfing and other non-productive related items.

Another thing to point out is that I have ran Cat5e all throughout my home, complete with faceplates at specified locations so I'm always running on a gigabit ethernet connection controlled by a 16port switch and running a WHS. I use Windows RDS quite often to use my alternative computers for my direct needs and it works fantastic. I really love my home setup and it keeps my "fun" and "work" computers separated.

My $0.02 worth. :)

*EDIT*

Another good performance tip is to run a high-performance SSD. If not, then use two traditional mechanical hard drives and place your Paging File on the non-OS drive.

Yeah that "windows constantly slows down as you use it" is a crock! Is comes from ill-informed people with little real knowledge. Again good luck running "real" AutoCAD, Revit and 3DS Max on OSX.

Yeah that "windows constantly slows down as you use it" is a crock!
I agree. I think it has more to do with installing software that accumulates through the years, especially in the Windows Startup realm. Nowadays most programs run in the background and auto-install their own "phone home" Windows Service. It takes time and effort to maintain your Services and your Startup. And I'm not even talking about the super performance killers from things like Facebook and social networking items. It is ridiculous how those online browser-based social networking sites kill computer performance!!

Jumping on a professional Windows Server machine, even dating back to 2003 can still operate smooth... why? Because it's bare-bones. :)

I agree. I think it has more to do with installing software that accumulates through the years, especially in the Windows Startup realm. Nowadays most programs run in the background and auto-install their own "phone home" Windows Service. It takes time and effort to maintain your Services and your Startup. And I'm not even talking about the super performance killers from things like Facebook and social networking items. It is ridiculous how those online browser-based social networking sites kill computer performance!!

I love having to fix a PC for someone and seeing about 7 or more browser tool bars running.

wow. thanks for all your replies. i've long been hipnotized by apple's marketing (but actually their design really looks great). i'll just label that mac book pro as luxury for now - which i can't afford, or at least not smart for me just getting ready for the real world (i'm still studying architecture). I won't be actually buying anytime soon (maybe summer next year). i just got a job in an architecture firm as a draftsman (where i have a really good boss who teaches me architecture and construction stuff PROFESSORS NEVER TEACH IN SCHOOL). thanks to my asus x53l. i learned autocad here. it''s still running though it keeps on crashing almost 10 times a day (literally) after i installed windows 8 (srsly? what the heys is with windows 8 that keeps on crashing my laptop? this doesn't happen with windows 7. it does freeze at times when rendering but not as much as this. showing blue screen in the middle of scrolling through facebook. no more programs opened but gogle chrome!)

anyways, thanks for all your inputs, i guess i'll lower my savings goals so i can practice more software sooner. ill be graduating in two years and i have a feeling that digital is the future. i mean i still love hand drawing, i think (in this era) nothing can beat the free flowing coordination of the hand brain and paper. especially when conceptualizing and developing ideas. but when it comes to presentation, i guess i'll invest more time in computer software than expensive colored pencil, brushes, markers, etc. although at the future, i would love to buy them all and play with them during weekends.

I'm getting a bit off topic here so here's one final *set of quetions (in this thread)

what laptop would you recommend or at least a brand, specs that i should look for etc.. that could run every architecture software (3ds max, revit, acad architecture....plus other design related software like ps, ai, ae, pr, id) because i'll be practicing all these stuff so i need a laptop that can run them without problems). don't consider the "too expensive" factor.

for example laptop A can do it for $3000 laptop B for $4000 and laptop c can do just 70% of the work for $1000. dont recommend laptop c (because it cheaper) or laptop b. you get what i mean right? :D

i just need to practice these stuff so please help. thanks thanks thanks!

and also can you clear up some confusion about what graphics card to look for. cause some say "vray doesn't use graphics card" or "look for quadro" or "not all applications utilize expensive quadro power" or "gtx performs better in autocad" etc. thanks!

sorry for the long post. thanks to you all experienced masters!

wow. thanks for all your replies. i've long been hipnotized by apple's marketing (but actually their design really looks great). i'll just label that mac book pro as luxury for now - which i can't afford, or at least not smart for me just getting ready for the real world (i'm still studying architecture).
It's not that an Apple computer is luxury, it's just not practical since it's not the platform that Autodesk products are based on. Honestly, you should rule this option out unless you like spending extra money for.... negative results.

i just got a job in an architecture firm as a draftsman (where i have a really good boss who teaches me architecture and construction stuff PROFESSORS NEVER TEACH IN SCHOOL).
It's not the professor's place to teach you real-world architecture and construction - it's their place to prepare you for it.

what laptop would you recommend or at least a brand, specs that i should look for etc.. that could run every architecture software (3ds max, revit, acad architecture....plus other design related software like ps, ai, ae, pr, id) because i'll be practicing all these stuff so i need a laptop that can run them without problems). don't consider the "too expensive" factor.

for example laptop A can do it for $3000 laptop B for $4000 and laptop c can do just 70% of the work for $1000. dont recommend laptop c (because it cheaper) or laptop b. you get what i mean right? :D

Since you've stated you're not ready to buy for at least another year... this is not relevant at this time to spec out a computer for you. I always tell people that when you're ready, have your cash-in-hand with your budget limits, and then go see what's out there.

OK, rendering. Most rendering engines do not use the graphics card to render unless it is GPU based rendering. This seems to be the way forward. Vray for Max does in fact use the GPU for rendering, or at least v2 has the option as well as CPU rendering. Depending on your needs I would assume. So review what software you will be using and then use that to help drive your hardware decision.

As for your PC crashing, I would say it was hardware but it crashes only in 8 and not in 7. I would say maybe your install of 8 got hosed. Why did you switch to 8 anyway?

If you're looking to spec a computer, you only want to do so when you're going to buy in within a few weeks, not in a year's time. The rate of progress in which computers develop means that pricing is normally significantly lower.

Look at SSD's as an example. A years or two ago they were pretty expensive, but in time they've dropped in price and have also increased in maximum capacity for said price.

At best, it's good to get a rough estimate when looking at a year ahead, but by that time the pieces you spec'd WILL be out of date and a better alternative for the same price will appear.

I would look at XI Laptops. They appear to have very, very good reviews for CAD software usage.

• 3 months later...

I'm painfully new to CAD and BIM, so take this with a grain of salt.

I just completed the AGC's BIM certification 4-unit education classes and the instructor (David Morris, who helped author the textbooks/manuals to the course) used Revit and Navisworks on Parallels desktop on his MacBook. He heralded that the software performed faster than his experience on native Windows computers of similar processing speeds.

Furthermore, he attends the Autodesk expos where he met several of the designers who wrote the software for Revit and Navisworks and they were using MacBook/Pros for the same reason.

He shared that a reboot and start-up time was fraction of the time on a Mac running Parallels as opposed to a PC. That being said i'm curious of what "negative results" tzframpton has experienced using BIM software on Parallels desktop.

In any event, i too am desiring to buy a high-end Alienware or MacBook Pro for my BIM needs. At this point, it's a toss up. Did you find a solution michaeltadeo?

I just don't see why one would buy a pc that will not run the needed software in it's native OS. The top end Dell XPS15 has the same specs as the top end Macbook Pro Retina. Well the Dell does have a higher screen resolution, 3200x1800 as compared to 2560x1600 on the retina as well as a touch screen. It is also in a aluminum case and costs $300 less. Not only is the Macbook Pro more expensive buy then you have to buy Parallels as well as a copy of Windows. Unless there is some mac only need I just don't understand the benefit of the macbook. No offense but I am only being practical ;)

I'm painfully new to CAD and BIM, so take this with a grain of salt.

I just completed the AGC's BIM certification 4-unit education classes and the instructor (David Morris, who helped author the textbooks/manuals to the course) used Revit and Navisworks on Parallels desktop on his MacBook. He heralded that the software performed faster than his experience on native Windows computers of similar processing speeds.

Furthermore, he attends the Autodesk expos where he met several of the designers who wrote the software for Revit and Navisworks and they were using MacBook/Pros for the same reason.

He shared that a reboot and start-up time was fraction of the time on a Mac running Parallels as opposed to a PC. That being said i'm curious of what "negative results" tzframpton has experienced using BIM software on Parallels desktop.

In any event, i too am desiring to buy a high-end Alienware or MacBook Pro for my BIM needs. At this point, it's a toss up. Did you find a solution michaeltadeo?

You can use Apple products all day long, it's just more money and more hassle. Most people that use Apple in a business environment are just "fans" of Apple. As f700 already mentioned, it's not practical. Price and performance do not compare to your IBM-based platforms running Windows. So ultimately it's your call - more money or not? Either way you go you're using the exact same software.

And the point made regarding start-up time... well, this is completely contingent on hardware. I run a high-performance SSD and I'd rival my boot up times with anything else out there. Cold boot to Windows that is loaded and ready is 11 seconds. Can't beat that.