2014 crash

Hi,

I have downloaded inventor 2014 several times in the hopes that it will work. I have half an object built in 2013 and need the fixed sweep function in 2014 so have downloaded it. Unfortunately I am not able to sketch anything in 2014. I tried to open the project i was working on in 2013 and the program just crashed and shut down on me. Any advice?

Are you using a certified graphics card? Did you also download the service packs and run them? Does IV2014 run ok and only have an issue with the 2013 model you built?

I am not much of a computer person therefore I do not know what you are talking about in you first two questions. However, inventor does not run well. The program as a whole is not working. When I try to create a new sketch the xyz planes do not pop up and when I try t9 draw lines they do not appear.

Graphics card. AutoDesk recommends various graphics cards that they have deemed to work well with their software. There is a list of the "certified" cards on their website. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Service Packs. These are updates issued by software companies to address bugs or issues with their programs. Once again, if you go to the AutoDesk website you can see whether any Service Packs (also referred to as Updates sometimes) have been issued for Inventor 2014. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22322619&linkID=9242019

Does you computer even meet the recommended AutoDesk minimum system requirements for running Inventor 2014? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15402497&linkID=9242018

In my opinion everyone who considers themselves to be a CAD professional should know how and where to find all three of the webpages referenced above (in blue).

I am not much of a computer person.....

You might want to take a beginning computer science class before learning a professional program like Inventor.

Did you install with anti-virus and UAC disabled?

Sounds like a graphics card problem.

Go to Tools>Application Options>Hardware tab and set to lowest setting.

And of course, install Service Pack 1.