Surface lower than points

Brad V

I am getting back into Civil design after an extended layoff and I'm learning Civil 3d on the job/ also on my own. Hopefully that will explain what may be a very simple question.

I just created a proposed surface using a point group. When I started labeling the contours I noticed they are 1 foot lower than they should be. I checked some spot elevations and I found this consistent across the site.

Is there a setting that would have caused the surface to be created 1 foot lower than the proposed points?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response. I ended up deleting and recreating the surface, this time it was correct. My concern wasn't so much how to raise the surface but why using only the points I entered would it be created a foot too low.

Oh well, live and learn. Next time I'll verify the surface is correct before I calculate my earthwork. On first glance the proposed contours looked like what I expected so I didn't label them.