How to trim large amounts of polylines

Nikkiremo

Allrighty then,

Well guys, I am finishing up the exterior design of a building which consists out of metal plating which should be lasercut with a pattern. Now I drew the lines for the lasercutter as a template which will help fit the pattern into the contours of the exterior design. Only problem which occurs is that my pattern, which I have group to easily copy, creates very slow desktop performance. Still not the biggest issue but anoying. The more important question is how to I external trim all the groups at once because it doenst seem to do this. Unfortunately I can´t attach the cad-file because manager won´t let me. but it trimmed some of the group but not all the lines in them. How is this possible? I've tried blocks but they don't clip either.

I don't know of a way to autmatically trim lots of lines like this but if when you enter the TRIM command you press ENTER again (rather than selecting anything to trim to) to AutoCAD will trim to the neareset object all the time. This will save you having to select lots of things to trim to before then having to select lots of things to trim!

Another possibility to consider is using F as a fence selection modifier: Pick the TRIM command then select the object you want to trim to (or select nothing as above), press F on your keyboard. You can then essentially draw a series of lines and it will trim everything that crosses that series of lines - rather than you having to pick lots of individual objects.

dJE

Make your boundary a polyline and then use the extrim command.

(read the command line)

If you did your array as parametric, I think you will have to turn that off.

The extrim command will trim off everything outside a boundary in two clicks, one click on the boundary and one click outside the boundary.

For any one out there you can program extrim but it has a catch the actual command to use is Etrim

; the load line is ok in lisp extrim is not auto loaded but "EXTRIM" does as a command 
(load "Extrim")
(etrim obj pt1)