• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marvin7

• ReMark

• steven-g

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a thought, what size is your screen, I use windows 8 and in windows explorer with it set to extra large icons, I get 3 thumbnails across the screen at about 270 pixels wide which is enormous for a thumbnail, a thumbnail of 1024 is almost full screen !! And that is definitely a windows setting.

I use my laptop screen as my second monitor for things like email and file explorer. And my screen resolution on it is 1920 pixels for the long dimension.

I want to make a distinction between File Explorer's file icons and the thumbnail that AutoCAD generates. I exclusively use Detail view for folder files in Win7, so I don't even see those file 'icons' normally, which are downscaled versions of the full image (in the case of photos, for example). But Win7's preview pane will show an image in nearly full resolution in some cases, and that's what I've been using for troubleshooting; if the thumbnail is 2000x2000, the preview pane will show it at that resolution if you can stretch the size of the pane big enough. ...at least that's been my observation.

Well this thread did seem vaguely familiar so ..http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?74722-Black-Thumbnails&highlight=black+blobs

Looks like the OP in that thread is talking about File Explorer's file icons, not the preview pane. The OP thought the icons were more readable with a white background is all.

A gesture-controlled screen? One hopes you are 1) non-Italian, 2) not prone to seizures, 3) good at the art of mime and 4) careful with your gestures.:shock:

But Win7's preview pane will show an image in nearly full resolution in some cases, and that's what I've been using for troubleshooting; if the thumbnail is 2000x2000, the preview pane will show it at that resolution if you can stretch the size of the pane big enough. ...at least that's been my observation.

Why didn't you say that in the first place :facepalm:

Yeah I just get the thumbnails at the same size as in the explorer window, they don't expand in the preview pane, unfortunately LT doesn't support thumbsize so I can't check if that has an effect on my system.

Yeah, I have custom settings set to 'flip the bird' when I want to close out of AutoCAD.
That's funny, I have a touch screen and I often hit the close button with my middle finger.:rofl:

Just to add more confusion, I have access to full Autocad at work and the thumbnails saved with that are still small in the preview pane but really clear, but when I open and save the same file in LT the thumbnails become pixelated, but they do fill the entire preview pane. And the thumbsave and rasterprieview variables are the same in both, thumbsize in full Autocad has no visible effect.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing this issue up but i noticed this option going though some settings.

How or what functions actually benefit getting better quality setting this to 8.?

I thought maybe 'named viewports' would get better, but they don't show up here

just wondering..

THUMBSIZE (System Variable)

Applies to AutoCAD 20xx

Specifies the display resolution in pixels for all thumbnail preview images.

Type:IntegerSaved in:RegistryInitial value:3

Whether preview images are saved in drawings is controlled by the THUMBSAVE system variable.

64 x 64

128 x 128

256 x 256

512 x 512

1024 x 1024

1440 x 1440

1600 x 1600

1920 x 1920

2560 x 2560

preview named views.JPG

• 2 years later...

Well this is interesting:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/AutoCAD-LT/files/GUID-96AD0C40-535F-46E2-AF88-089AD9299C0B-htm.html

Specifies whether the size of 2D wireframe thumbnail preview is controlled by THUMBSIZE sysvar. If turned off, previews of drawings using the 2D wireframe visual styles are set to a display resolution of 256 x 256 pixels.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 0

Value

Description

0 All thumbnail previews will have a maximum size of 256 pixels. This is the default value.

1 All thumbnail previews for 2D visual styles are controlled by the THUMBSIZE sysvar.

Note: You can set this value from the Thumbnail Preview Settings dialog under Named views group as well.

What I'm doing now is using this app also found on the app store and add this to my acaddoc.lsp

(setvar "THUMBSAVE" 1)
(setvar "THUMBSIZE" 4) ; 0 64 x 64, 1 128 x 128, 2 256 x 256, 3 512 x 512, 4 1024 x 1024, 5 1440 x 1440, 6 1600 x 1600, 7 1920 x 1920, 8 2560 x 2560
(setvar "THUMBSIZE2D" 1) ; This is very important. The max resolution of the thumbnails is 256 if this is 0.
(setvar "UPDATETHUMBNAIL" 16)

and running it on my 6,000+ odd block library. (Yes! most of it is junk but you never know when you need that fax machine block)

Now, nice crisp Thumbnails!!!

EDIT: That app didn't update the thumbnails as I was hoping. Maybe someone out there might know of a batch program that can bypass that pesky dynamic block message. Otherwise, I'd run a .bat file.

Edited by 3dwannab