• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• steven-g

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you required to create a front view of the 3D object as if one was seeing it at an angle? If so what is the angle? 30 degrees? 45 degrees? Other?

Are you also being required to create an isometric view?

Edited by ReMark

AuxiliaryView_1.JPG

Here is a front view of your 3D object as if it were rotated 45 degrees to the right.

Disclaimer: My version of your 3D object was done without the benefit of any dimensions and it should be considered an approximation only. Faces have been colored to aid in viewing.

AuxiliaryView_2.JPG

SE Isometric view of your 3D object.

BTW...this image and the previous one utilize the Conceptual visual style. Once again I colored the faces to make viewing easier.

I get this as the auxillary view, giving the yellow section an area of Approx 10.5 and the green seen from the same angle an area of approx 4.5

EDIT - Ignore the areas I didn't notice the scale until post #9 below

Aux2.png

Edited by steven-g

And how exactly did you arrive at that particular view?

Did you look at the images in the OP's link?

Edited by ReMark

Drew the model and aligned the UCS to the face colored yellow as per the assignment request. It is my understanding that that is what the term auxillary view means.

Because there are no sizes given I based the model on a footprint of 6x4 as per the grid and the area's are based on that.

Aux1.jpg

Edited by steven-g

Re: View in bottom right hand corner.

I don't see where the top left corner would be slanted nor do I see where the top right corner would be notched. What am I missing here besides my usual 10 cups of coffee?

Never mind. I think I figured out how you came up with that view. Personally, I wouldn't think an instructor would ask for that particular view but until we get some feedback from the OP we don't really know for sure at this point.

That is exactly what is asked for. And is the only simple way to answer the second question.

PS I just noticed the scale of 0.2 inch per grid which will change the areas to approx. 0.4 and 0.2 respectively.

WIs8Ctr.png

Isn't your model in 3D, just set the UCS to the blue surface. The red and blue surfaces you have drawn are at 90 degrees to each other, so when you are viewing flat onto the blue surface all you will see is the edge of the red one.

Post #9, there was a second page to the OP's original link, it could be a difference in how we are reading the meaning of the assignment, that's just what I made of it, and I originally missed the scale of the drawing when reading it. :)

Ah, pay no attention to me. I'm in a bit of a fog today.:ouch:

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't there three ordinary auxiliary views (front, top and side)? Did the student tell us which one he needs or are we just guessing?

I can't figure out what's wrong with my auxiliary view, any suggestions?

Here is an idea. Attach a dwg file here rather than an image link.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't there three ordinary auxiliary views (front, top and side)?

Top, front and side are standard views, not auxiliary views. Auxiliary views are used to show features True Size and Shape that are not shown TTS in any of the standard views.

It looks to me like the OP constructed the top view, then erroneously attempted to create the projected auxiliary view be merely rotating the top view. I haven't gone through the exercise myself but according to the second page he is to construct two aux views - one of the sloped face shown in the front view and one of the sloped face in the right view.

Top, front and side are standard views, not auxiliary views. Auxiliary views are used to show features True Size and Shape that are not shown TTS in any of the standard views.

See Spencer's "Basic Technical Drafting", page 182, paragraph 183. The Three Auxiliary Views and Fig. 423 on the same page. The only word missing from my previous post is "auxiliary" which I felt was not necessary to repeat. The views are named according to the regular view from which they are projected.

See also page 183, Fig. 424. Steps in Drawing a Front Auxiliary View.

Edited by ReMark

ReMark/JD,

I don't have the benefit of the book mentioned, I always thought an auxillary view was a view perpendicular to a selected surface, usually used to show details of a sloped or angled surface as in the example, but could be applied to any surface, so in theory you could have plan view or auxillary plan view.

Patrick,

The assignment only asks for one auxillary view, if we are guessing I would say the OP was trying to create the drawing by projecting perpendicular lines from the front view, which is the correct method to use in 2D draughting, the second question was to show the area of the front sloping face projected onto the first auxillary view, which the same drawing will give you.

EDIT - Image added for clarity and answer the original question

AUX3.PNG

Edited by steven-g