Draft surface by 2D and 3D sketch

blueye89

Hello :).

I am trying to find easiest way to create an drafted surface as it shown on my example (see attached part). I don't like way how I doing this. Why AI don't have a draft surface option in his draft tools?

Thanks in advance.

draftsrf.ipt

Why are you trying to use a swept surface to create a Face Draft?

No, I don't trying to create face draft, I know how to do that. I'm trying to create drafted surface.

Are you purposely leaving an undercut beneath the swept surface you created? Or do you intend the drafted surface to be extended to the bottom of the slot?

If you require no gap, Under Modify, Draft, first pick the surface at the bottom of the slot for your pull direction. Then pick the side wall faces of the slot, (the automatic face chain should be toggled on to pick all adjacent side walls with one pick). Note! When picking the surface to draft, make sure when you pick on the edge where the draft is to start. From the way you did the swept feature, you will want to pick on the top edge of the slot. Set the draft angle to 20, flip the pull direction if needed, then OK. You will now have a drafted surface that extends down to the bottom retaining the original top edges of the slot. I see two quick ways to create draft extending down only a partial depth of the slot, without the undercut you have now. One; you change the sweep profile to include a vertical line extending down from the draft line to the bottom of the slot. Two; before creating a draft feature, you offset a work plane from the bottom of the slot and use it to split the side walls. The draft command will now create surfaces with the same type of undercut you had with the sweep. Next you create a sketch on the workplane using the cut edges as a profile and extrude the profile to fill the undercut. With both techniques you will have the partial vertical surfaces (undrafted) starting from the bottom of the drafted surfaces.